Device to hold mobile phone when I cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobsinatra

Über Member
Hi

Do people use devices to lock their mobile phones on their handlebars?

I often plan routes, but lose my way. Using my phone as a map would be handy.

If this is a done thing, what holding devices would you recommend? I have only seen the Quad lock advertised and not sure whether it is any good.

I have a Samsung S9 + which is quite a large fan.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

BS

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Yes you need a quadlock. Its the best phone holder for your handlebar or stem. Totally rock solid. Not the cheapest, but neither is your phone.

Wookee

Hi

Do people use devices to lock their mobile phones on their handlebars?

I often plan routes, but lose my way. Using my phone as a map would be handy.

If this is a done thing, what holding devices would you recommend? I have only seen the Quad lock advertised and not sure whether it is any good.

I have a Samsung S9 + which is quite a large fan.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

BS
I use a cheap top tube bag from Halfords that's very secure and I can use the touch screen through the cover.

Gunk

Guru
I use a Topeak ride case, the bracket either bolts to the stem or bars and the phone case slots on securely.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Yes but hard to follow directions if it is in your pocket.

Are there audio directions ?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
bobsinatra said:
Yes but hard to follow directions if it is in your pocket.

@Mrs M has it right, don't complicate something that doesn't need complicating. If I need to check that I'm going the right way at road junctions etc, I briefly pull over, get my phone out of my leg pocket (as I'm usually wearing cargo shorts/cargo trousers/cut down cargos) and check my maps app, before carrying on. Not only does it fit in with KISS principles, it also allows you to give your arse some relief from the saddle for a few seconds and you can take a swig of water at the same time before continuing on your way.

Gunk

Guru
@Mrs M has it right, don't complicate something that doesn't need complicating. If I need to check that I'm going the right way at road junctions etc, I briefly pull over, get my phone out of my leg pocket (as I'm usually wearing cargo shorts/cargo trousers/cut down cargos) and check my maps app, before carrying on. Not only does it fit in with KISS principles, it also allows you to give your arse some relief from the saddle for a few seconds and you can take a swig of water at the same time before continuing on your way.

I agree, I only use my phone as a basic cycle computer on longer rides, (it was a budget solution which has worked quite well) I don’t use sat nav or mapping as I tend to have preplanned route. The computer app however does give me basic info as speed, average speed and the distance travelled which is all quite handy.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I agree, I only use my phone as a basic cycle computer on longer rides, (it was a budget solution which has worked quite well) I don’t use sat nav or mapping as I tend to have preplanned route. The computer app however does give me basic info as speed, average speed and the distance travelled which is all quite handy.

I find that super-basic Cateye Velo7's provide all my cycling computing needs, and the head unit is easily popped into my pocket if the bike is left unattended. Often I will not even take a phone with me, if I'm very familiar with the area, don't wish to take photos, and aren't expecting anyone to ring me about something important.
With modern life being a deluge of incessant emails and text messages, it's actually nice to get away from all this nonsense for a couple of hours when out for a ride.

Top Bottom