Device to hold mobile phone when I cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
@Mrs M has it right, don't complicate something that doesn't need complicating. If I need to check that I'm going the right way at road junctions etc, I briefly pull over, get my phone out of my leg pocket (as I'm usually wearing cargo shorts/cargo trousers/cut down cargos) and check my maps app, before carrying on. Not only does it fit in with KISS principles, it also allows you to give your arse some relief from the saddle for a few seconds and you can take a swig of water at the same time before continuing on your way.
All very interesting, I'm sure, but the OP wants to mount a phone on his handlebars and is asking about the best widget for the job. Also there are these new-fangled things called bidons and bottle cages, which allow you to have a swig of water without stopping. :okay:

OP
OP
bobsinatra

bobsinatra

Über Member
All very interesting, I'm sure, but the OP wants to mount a phone on his handlebars and is asking about the best widget for the job. Also there are these new-fangled things called bidons and bottle cages, which allow you to have a swig of water without stopping. :okay:

Lol well said fella.

Brooks

I'm another one that sticks the phone in my pocket. I plan my ride beforehand and mostly memorise the route, if I'm unsure I stop and check. I sort my route using cycle streets app and it's pretty simply to remember.

@Mrs M has it right, don't complicate something that doesn't need complicating. If I need to check that I'm going the right way at road junctions etc, I briefly pull over, get my phone out of my leg pocket (as I'm usually wearing cargo shorts/cargo trousers/cut down cargos) and check my maps app, before carrying on. Not only does it fit in with KISS principles, it also allows you to give your arse some relief from the saddle for a few seconds and you can take a swig of water at the same time before continuing on your way.
must have a better memory than me skipdiver. I can only, at a push, memorise three directions at a time. I do some fairly long rides, including at night. All those stops add up incredibly - and I find make me race between the stops I know are coming. With gps (and I was a late convert after mocking them for ages) I find I ride in a far more relaxed way. I use a dedicated cheapish garmin.
I agree with getting away from crap - one reason i use the garmin.

whitesix

Regular
Apologies in advance, but could I use the Garmin that I have previously used in my car for such purposes? I don't really use it much for car journeys these days? Or do I need a specific type for using with a cycle?

DRM

Guru
I don’t think the battery on a car sat nav would have enough staying power and would go flat too soon, that’s if you could find something to attach the mount to your bike securely.
I have a garmin 100, bike computer that I’ve had a long time, it has the ability to upload a route from something like Komoot, which I did for the first time yesterday, it was easy to follow despite no voice guidance and the battery still holds a good charge despite it being at least 4 years old, possibly a bit older.
something like this second hand wouldn’t be too expensive these days.

CXRAndy

Guru
If Im using a route, I have on occasion used Google maps routing and listen to the voice commands when to turn. It will reroute if you decide to take a detour.

In fact that is how I used to motorcycle tour, If the road didn't appeal to me I would turn off and let the nav take over. I've some beautiful views, villages and stops by not being a slave to the navigation.

DRM

Guru
If Im using a route, I have on occasion used Google maps routing and listen to the voice commands when to turn. It will reroute if you decide to take a detour.

In fact that is how I used to motorcycle tour, If the road didn't appeal to me I would turn off and let the nav take over. I've some beautiful views, villages and stops by not being a slave to the navigation.
Doesn’t it have cycle route setting on there as well as car/walking settings?

Dwn

I just keep my phone in back pocket and it sends alerts to my Garmin Edge, so I can see of anything important comes through.

Wife uses a quadlock for her phone and is very happy with it. Never been a hint of it coming loose even over rough surfaces.

NotAsGoodAsMyBike

My wife’s just decided she wants to try cycling to work (about 5 miles away, mostly flat). Previously she got the bus most days, but maybe one week a month she’d get a car parking space and drive instead.

She’s been a “key worker” throughout lockdown and so few people have been going in that she got a car space every day. Now that numbers in the office are back up, she won’t have that luxury but doesn’t find the idea of taking the bus that appealing.

Just got her one of these bar mount cases

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ROTTO-Bicycle-Handlebar-Waterproof-Rotation/dp/B07Q28VM82
and she’s downloaded Komoot so she can get it to navigate cycle-friendly back routes. Here’s hoping it works!

vickster

Legendary Member
My wife’s just decided she wants to try cycling to work (about 5 miles away, mostly flat). Previously she got the bus most days, but maybe one week a month she’d get a car parking space and drive instead.

She’s been a “key worker” throughout lockdown and so few people have been going in that she got a car space every day. Now that numbers in the office are back up, she won’t have that luxury but doesn’t find the idea of taking the bus that appealing.

Just got her one of these bar mount cases

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ROTTO-Bicycle-Handlebar-Waterproof-Rotation/dp/B07Q28VM82
and she’s downloaded Komoot so she can get it to navigate cycle-friendly back routes. Here’s hoping it works!

Why don’t you and she do a dry run and plan a route together?

Top Bottom