Devon C2C by ChatGPT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richardfm

Veteran
I asked ChatGPT for a cycle route from Plymouth to Ilfracombe....

Can you recommend a cycle route from Plymouth to Ilfracombe

Yes, I can recommend a cycle route from Plymouth to Ilfracombe. One of the most popular routes is the Devon Coast to Coast cycle route, which takes you from Plymouth to Ilfracombe via some of the most beautiful countryside and coastline in Devon. Here is the route:

Start at the Barbican in Plymouth and follow National Cycle Network Route 27 along the Plym Estuary and onto the Plym Valley Cycle Path.
Continue on Route 27 through the villages of Brixton and Yealmpton, and then on to the town of Modbury.
From Modbury, take the A379 towards Kingsbridge, and then follow the signs for National Cycle Network Route 2, which takes you along the beautiful South Devon coastline to the town of Salcombe.
From Salcombe, follow Route 2 to Torcross and then on to the town of Dartmouth.
From Dartmouth, take the A379 to Brixham, and then follow National Cycle Network Route 28 to Paignton and then onto the town of Torquay.
From Torquay, take the A379 to Teignmouth and then follow National Cycle Network Route 2 to the town of Dawlish.
From Dawlish, continue on Route 2 to Exeter, and then take National Cycle Network Route 27 to the town of Tiverton.
From Tiverton, take the A361 towards Barnstaple, and then follow National Cycle Network Route 27 to the town of Ilfracombe.
This route is approximately 156 miles (251 km) long and will take you through some of the most stunning scenery in Devon, including the beautiful South Devon coastline, the Dartmoor National Park, and the Exmoor National Park.

Can you recommend a shorter route via okehamton

Yes, I can recommend a shorter route from Plymouth to Ilfracombe via Okehampton. Here is the route:

Start at the Barbican in Plymouth and follow National Cycle Network Route 27 along the Plym Estuary and onto the Plym Valley Cycle Path.
Continue on Route 27 through the villages of Brixton and Yealmpton, and then on to the town of Modbury.
From Modbury, take the A379 towards Kingsbridge, and then follow the signs for National Cycle Network Route 2, which takes you along the beautiful South Devon coastline to the town of Salcombe.
From Salcombe, follow Route 2 to Torcross and then on to the town of Dartmouth.
From Dartmouth, take the A379 to Brixham, and then follow National Cycle Network Route 28 to Paignton and then onto the town of Torquay.
From Torquay, take the A380 towards Newton Abbot, and then follow the signs for National Cycle Network Route 27 towards Okehampton.
From Okehampton, take the A3072 towards Bude and then follow the signs for National Cycle Network Route 3 towards Ilfracombe.
Follow Route 3 through the towns of Holsworthy and Bideford, and then on to the town of Ilfracombe.
This route is approximately 106 miles (170 km) long and will take you through some stunning countryside and coastline in Devon, including the South Devon coastline and the Dartmoor National Park. The route also takes you through the historic town of Okehampton and along the Tarka Trail, which is a popular cycling and walking route that follows the route of a disused railway line.

I won't be following that route
I've just booked a train to Plymouth and will cycle north from there to Okehamton on the first day, where I will camp at the YHA.
The second day I will cycle from Okehamton to Georgeham, near Croyde. I'll camp at Incledon Farm.
On the third day I'll cycle from there to Ilfracombe then back to Barnstaple to get the train home.
I've planned my route to miss the A386 from Hatherleigh to Meeth.
Are there any other stretches to avoid or to include?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Sustrans Route 27?

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
May I recommend a campsite called Hole Station. Absolutely lovely! Eco friendly, secluded pitches in woodlands and home cooked food if you want it.

Top Bottom