Devon C2C on a road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wolf616

Über Member
Hi

Planning on doing this over 2 days in a few weeks but I am a little worried about the quality of surface, as I often am with NCN routes (I've had some bad experiences in the past - even though I love them they just aren't suitable for my bike!)

Has anyone done it on a road bike and, if so, are there particular bits to plot an alternative route around? Any help much appreciated...

I'm planning on stopping at Okehampton overnight - does that seem sensible?

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Are you going North to South?

There are a couple of bits to stick to the road rather than follow the route.

Coming out of Lydford don't turn left into the car park to go acrossthe moor. Just carry on along the road, you'll get to to the same place without the swamp.

In Peter Tavy, again, just stick to the road rather than going down the narrow track.

On the tandem we stayed in Hatherleigh and Tavistock for a nice 3 day ride.
Okehampton would work though.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Hi

Planning on doing this over 2 days in a few weeks but I am a little worried about the quality of surface, as I often am with NCN routes (I've had some bad experiences in the past - even though I love them they just aren't suitable for my bike!)

Has anyone done it on a road bike and, if so, are there particular bits to plot an alternative route around? Any help much appreciated...

I'm planning on stopping at Okehampton overnight - does that seem sensible?

Luke
Might help if you could post your intended route map, as there are several variations to the 'official' route.
Okehampton seems about right for your overnight stay as it would be approximately half way.
I can recommend Meadow Lea B&B in Okehampton - cycle friendly and handy for starting the next leg on the Granite Way.

OP
OP
Wolf616

Wolf616

Über Member
Thanks guys - i am indeed going north to south. Arriving Barnstaple Thursday afternoon and cycling up to Ilfracombe, before heading back south an alternative way Friday. Stopping at Okehampton (probably) and then on Saturday doing the last leg to Plymouth. Up on the Sunday to head back to London. Tight deadline, but I couldn't take any more time off!

As for route, I put the GPX on this site (http://www.gps-routes.co.uk/routes/home.nsf/routeslinkscycle/devon-coast-to-coast-cycle-route) into ViewRanger and was going to alter it slightly to meet road cycling needs. Happy for suggested alternatives, but preferably in GPX format so I can use it easily...

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
The surface right at the southern end of the Tarka trail is unsealed. I rode it on 25mm road tyres in September, but I could see it getting a bit slippery after rain. Other than that IIRC the rest of the route I took between Exeter and Barnstaple was fine.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Thanks guys - i am indeed going north to south. Arriving Barnstaple Thursday afternoon and cycling up to Ilfracombe, before heading back south an alternative way Friday. Stopping at Okehampton (probably) and then on Saturday doing the last leg to Plymouth. Up on the Sunday to head back to London. Tight deadline, but I couldn't take any more time off!

As for route, I put the GPX on this site (http://www.gps-routes.co.uk/routes/home.nsf/routeslinkscycle/devon-coast-to-coast-cycle-route) into ViewRanger and was going to alter it slightly to meet road cycling needs. Happy for suggested alternatives, but preferably in GPX format so I can use it easily...

That route looks about right. The only changes I'd make are:
1. Make sure you start at the Verity statue on the quayside at Ilfracombe. About a mile, or so, from the start the route goes through a churchyard - steep steps, but a gulley on the left to wheel your bike in. From Ilfracombe, follow the cycle trail through to Willingcott, then follow Route 27 through to Braunton. (The Woolacombe to Putsborough section has some off road parts to it)
2. Carry on from Sheepwash up to Highampton, turn left and follow the route through to Hatherleigh from there. This is a nicer route and has some off road cycle path on it which is good quality
3. Beware the section of off road track between Mary Tavy and Peter Tavy and the section at Clearbrook. Both are short and not really a problem, but can be challenging when wet. The Clearbrook one is the worst, but also the shortest.
4. In Plymouth, carry on through to the Cremyll Ferry slipway. This is the Official end of the Devon C2C. It would be silly to cycle that distance and not go to the end.;)

If you are stopping in Okehampton and are stuck for accomodation, try the new Wetherspoons - The White Hart - they are currently showing a room available.
https://api.jdwetherspoon.com/hotels/england/devon/the-white-hart
You can keep your bike in the room at most of their hotels.

Have fun! Let us know how you got on. :okay:

PS. I'll look out for you on Thursday cycling between Barnstaple and Ilfracombe.

Last edited:
U

User19783

That route looks about right. The only changes I'd make are:
1. Make sure you start at the Verity statue on the quayside at Ilfracombe. About a mile, or so, from the start the route goes through a churchyard - steep steps, but a gulley on the left to wheel your bike in. From Ilfracombe, follow the cycle trail through to Willingcott, then follow Route 27 through to Braunton. (The Woolacombe to Putsborough section has some off road parts to it)
2. Carry on from Sheepwash up to Highampton, turn left and follow the route through to Hatherleigh from there. This is a nicer route and has some off road cycle path on it which is good quality
3. Beware the section of off road track between Mary Tavy and Peter Tavy and the section at Clearbrook. Both are short and not really a problem, but can be challenging when wet. The Clearbrook one is the worst, but also the shortest.
4. In Plymouth, carry on through to the Cremyll Ferry slipway. This is the Official end of the Devon C2C. It would be silly to cycle that distance and not go to the end.;)

If you are stopping in Okehampton and are stuck for accomodation, try the new Wetherspoons - The White Hart - they are currently showing a room available.
https://api.jdwetherspoon.com/hotels/england/devon/the-white-hart
You can keep your bike in the room at most of their hotels.

Have fun! Let us know how you got on. :okay:

PS. I'll look out for you on Thursday cycling between Barnstaple and Ilfracombe.
Excellent write up,.
I did this route last year, but south to north ,
I loved it, but I use my Planet X London road, with 35mm tyres, had no problems. Also
Had no trouble in finding my way, didn't need a map as it's all well signed posted.

Enjoy

Ajax Bay

Guru
Seeing you've posted about your wobbly wheel, @Wolf616 - how did the Devon C2C ride go (last year)?

Top Bottom