Devon C2C

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
For anyone thinking of riding the Devon Coast to Coast, here is the route that we did last year.
It follows the 'official' Devon C2C route 27, including the off road portion at Clearbrook. This is avoidable by following the alternative route marked on the map.
The route is approximately 100 miles and can easily be done on a hybrid bike over a leisurely 3 days. A good rider can do it in 2 days easy.
I wouldn't recommend using a road bike with narrow tyres, due to the nature of parts of the route - although I have seen people on them (usually fixing punctures).
The majority of the route is tarmac/gravel, including off road sections of approximately 25 miles on the Tarka Trail, 11 miles on the Granite Way and 21 miles on the Drakes Trail. The road sections of the route are generally quiet apart from Plymouth.
There are B&Bs in Ilfracombe, Braunton, Barnstaple, Hatherleigh, Okehampton, Tavistock & Plymouth.
Train connections at Barnstaple (via Exeter), Okehampton (via Exeter) and Plymouth.
Bike shops in Braunton, Barnstaple, Okehampton, Tavistock & Plymouth.
Cycle hire at Braunton, Barnstaple, Torrington, Okehampton & Plymouth.
Good pubs and tea rooms on route along with stunning scenery; what more could you want?
I would recommend this ride for anyone, especially those who have never toured on a bike before.
The route is easy to follow and generally easy/moderate.
Go on - give it a go!
For more information - Google 'Devon C2C'
http://gb.mapometer.com/cycling/route_4068149.html

Last edited:
Top Bottom