Devon Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simonjlewis

I'm spending 4 days in Devon next week in Moretonhampstead. Anyone got any good routes I can stick on my Garmin? Nice and hilly. I need a 30 miler, an 80 miler and a 100 miler. Cheers.

Don't know any routes from there and I just use an OS Landranger, so I certainly haven't got anything you could stick in a Garmin.

You won't lack for hills though...

Hokay, fresh from Google Maps. These are a couple of rides I'd do if I was in Moretonhampstead and a bit of a masochist.

Cross Dartmoor to Tavistock and back.

Moretonhampstead to Dunsford, turn down the Teign Valley to Chudleigh. Chudleigh to Two Bridges via Bovey Tracey, Haytor, Dartmeet. Two Bridges back to Moretonhampstead.

Davidc

Guru
Big place.

Most of the coast to coast is good, but not fast even by my standards. The Tarka Trail (North part) gets busy in school holidays but lovely place.

Details of that one from Sustrans.

Some good rides (if you like hills) on Dartmoor and Exmoor (although Exmoor's 2/3 Somerset if you're being pedantic)

As Chuffy says - best bet is buy the OS Landranger - that's what I use when 'over the border'.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I did some nice rides from Chagford a couple of years ago which involved some serious hills to get onto the cross Dartmoor road. The climb out of Dartmeet is pretty steep too - maybe 15-20%.

Rob S

Plenty of good roads in the area: Moreton-Yelverton, Moreton-Bovey, Moreton-Exeter, Moreton up to Whiddon Down then old A30 to Okehampton is another....extend that down to Tavistock across to Princetown, then up to Moreton....lovely!!

Have fun

OP
OP
S

simonjlewis

Thanks Rob. Where is Moreton? I can't find it.

cyclenic

Wow i grew up in moreton, why on earth would you be going there, where r u staying. there are tos of routes. if your up for a short ride, check out mardon down, local hill, lovely views.

i agree with eveyone else. head out on the princetown road, there's a lovely pub called the Warren house Inn, stop there for a few drinkies, and if you carry in go to Belliver, (it's just past postbridge. follow the road, and there's a lovely river and beauty spot great for sun bathing.

Fingle bridge is good, and you could go to castle drogo in the way/wayback.

i've got tones more.
small world!!!!!
message me x

Rob S

cyclenic said:
and if you carry in go to Belliver, (it's just past postbridge. follow the road, and there's a lovely river and beauty spot great for sun bathing.

Yep...was there Sunday. Whilst Postbridge is crawling with tourists this little spot is nice and quiet.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b363/rks040472/10500.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b363/rks040472/10502.jpg

Another good road to take in is the minor road from Watching Place (just south of the Pony Centre on the Moreton-Princetown road) to Haytor which passes Jay's Grave (and a small walking diverson allows you to see the Giant's Chair) and Hound Tor (in the carpark is the burger van known as the Hound Of The Basket Meals....once past Haytor (a good new info centre with loos there now) you can go on to Bovey.

Top Bottom