Devon lanes.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I hate those - if you ride on either side you get brambles and nettles, and if you ride in the middle it's either slippery wet grass or slippery mud and blackthorns!

On the plus side, I believe Devon drivers have the finest reversing skills in the country!

Tilley

Über Member
Riding a recumbent trike on tracks like this brings added interest/danger:
1.you are too wide to pass any vehicle,
2. your face is at the level of brambles and nettles,
3. you cannot avoid riding on the central section , the only choices are whether it is a front wheel on the central section meaning the whole machine is on a slight tilt or the rear wheel rides down the centre with possible reduced traction.

The most interesting track attempted so far like this was Ebbor Gorge near Wells. Single track lane with pot holes and a mixture of loose gravel and grass down the centre. Luckily I didn't meet any other vehicle. I had hoped that the descent would be fun, it turned out to be exciting as the trike frequently fishtailed on the loose surface

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I can reverse as fast down a narrow lane in reverse, as my car will go forwards in 1st.
It's a necessary skill to make Audi Q7 and BMW X5 drivers, from London, look stupid.:laugh:
The look of panic on their faces when they realise that they are well and truly outside their comfort zone is quite priceless.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
The look of panic on their faces when they realise that they are well and truly outside their comfort zone is quite priceless.

I've had several stand offs with big shiney 4x4 drivers, mainly with London plates, who will not move over enough to allow two cars to pass each other. Sometimes it's a lack of knowing how wide their vehicle is, or a fear of scratching it. Sometimes it's an inability to reverse accurately.
Either way, as you said, it's obvious that they are way outside their comfort zone.

Tilley

Über Member
[QUOTE 4870279, member: 76"]At least you weren't going up it.

If you really want excitement in your life, next time drop off the Mendips via Draycott Sleights, you will know you are alive 2/3 of the way down :hyper:[/QUOTE]
I have ridden this road in both directions and as the surface is better than that on Ebbor gorge it wasn't as difficult.what was disappointing on the descent was the lack of visibility or a good long straight meant that I had to restrict my speed.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I've had several stand offs with big shiney 4x4 drivers, mainly with London plates, who will not move over enough to allow two cars to pass each other. Sometimes it's a lack of knowing how wide their vehicle is, or a fear of scratching it. Sometimes it's an inability to reverse accurately.
Either way, as you said, it's obvious that they are way outside their comfort zone.

What do London plates look like, I didn't think registrations were regional?

Top Bottom