DfT: Tales of the Road Ad Campaign

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m2XooqMSdI

"The Girl Who Didn't Dress Bright"

A 1947 book by J. S. Dean, former Chairman of the Pedestrians’ Association, is instructive here. In his ‘study of the road deaths problem’, Murder Most Foul, Dean's basic tenet is that, ‘as roads are only “dangerous” by virtue of being filled with heavy fast moving motor vehicles, by far the greatest burden of responsibility for avoiding crashes, deaths and injury on the roads should lie with the motorist’ (Peel n.d., 3).

Yet road safety education concentrates not on the drivers of vehicles, but on those who they have the capacity to kill. Dean saw how placing responsibility for road danger on those outside of motorised vehicles might lead, by stealth, to placing of culpability on those groups, and Murder Most Foul is a tirade against the placing of responsibility for road accidents on children.
(From "Fear of Cycling Part 2: Road Safety Education, David Horton. http://www.copenhagenize.com/2009/09/fear-of-cycling-02-constructing-fear-of.html )

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Looks like the same team that did the infamous 'tw@t non-helmet-wearing kids on the head with a hammer' game.

They're peddling this crap at Bolletta's school at the moment and selling cheap and 'fashionable' high viz wear. Totally wrong.

StuartG

slower but further
I am uncomfortable with the sentiments expressed here. I wear bright yellow tops most of the time to be seen. (I also don't wear a helmet because I want to be seen as vulnerable but that is another arguement). But the important thing is to be seen - especially by the driver going a bit to fast who left their glasses at home. Being a long lived cyclist implies you are a bit smart at spotting or avoiding the incompetence of others.

I agree that there is a threat that not wearing fluorescent gear might be seen to make you culpable but we just have to try hard and resist this. Deliberately wearing black in protest is not a smart career move.

Nipper

It is terrible that there aren't any ads promoting safer driving. "In the dark take more care" that sort of thing. It seems to me that what is needed is a campaign to make dangerous driving as socially unacceptable as drink driving. When I say dangerous I mean anyone exceeding 20mph in a built up area or in anyway endangering the life a vulnerable road users. 2538 dead and 229000 injured is not acceptable.

StuartG

slower but further
Nipper said:
It is terrible that there aren't any ads promoting safer driving.
There could be more and better ones. I have to say that I was quite impressed with a recent radio ad pointing out to drivers that it was a common optical illusion that cyclists appeared to travelling at a lower speed than the actual. Apparently because the brain associates speed and size. Dunno if it is true - but it is one explanation for a lot of misjudgement.

Frankly I find varied informative advertising more effective than the 'frighteners'. Am I the only one who looks away when the motorcyclists hits the car - yet again?

StuartG said:
I am uncomfortable with the sentiments expressed here. I wear bright yellow tops most of the time to be seen. (I also don't wear a helmet because I want to be seen as vulnerable but that is another arguement). But the important thing is to be seen - especially by the driver going a bit to fast who left their glasses at home. Being a long lived cyclist implies you are a bit smart at spotting or avoiding the incompetence of others.

I agree that there is a threat that not wearing fluorescent gear might be seen to make you culpable but we just have to try hard and resist this. Deliberately wearing black in protest is not a smart career move.

Th problem for me is not the message, but the way it is portrayed. It is so negative and places the blame inappropriately, take "Amir's story"......

Text version for 'Amir's story'

Morning TV. What a load of...Tch. There's nothing on. Nothing... and I'm still not allowed out. How rubbish is that? I'd rather be doing a geography test. Joke, by the way. Nah, I'd be out on my bike wouldn't I? Tch. That's not gonna happen... Not for a while, anyway.

You haven't seen my bike, have you? You wait. It's the business. Alloy wheels, all-terrain mountain bike with ten gears. And it’s got go-faster stripes on the forks. It's ace. I got it for my birthday because I've out-grown the old one, yeah. They even put a bell on it that lights up when you hit it.

I got a helmet and my uncle gave me some wicked gloves and a set of lights. Lights are really important cos drivers need to see you when it's dark. Dead important that is. But I was kind of hoping someone would get me a cool new game like, I dunno, Zombie Attack IV? Yeah. It’s just come out. It’s got wicked graphics and you can go all over the city. I mean the bike's great but I could really use a new game now... I haven’t used my bike since my birthday... Two weeks and counting.

That evening I was going to the pictures with my best mate Jordan and some of the lads from my class. What Storms May Come. Have you seen it? It's dead good they reckon. It’s all about this guy – Johnny Hazard – who's got these amazing, cool super powers, but can't control them because of an evil professor who controls everything he does. BUT – He escapes and then goes after the baddie. Crash! Bang! He runs wicked fast, you know?

After I'd opened up all they presents – they wanted to get the birthday cake ready – so I decided to go over to Jordan's to show him the bike. I was sorted. I had my helmet, my trainers with the reflective strips and I even clipped on the lights and made sure the batteries worked before I set off. Well, it'd be dark by the time I was coming back, you see. You need to be seen by other road users. That's really important. Be Bright, Be Seen. They're always saying that in school. I was only going to Jordan's so I didn't bother with the pads or the gloves.

The road was quite quiet but there were loads and loads cars parked all the way along. Anyway, I'm going up and down gears, testing the brakes.

Then, just as I looked up, this car door suddenly opened - right in front of me. I tried to brake but it was too late. It knocked the wind right out of me. Banged my chin, broke my nose and cut all my hands up too. Good job I had my new helmet on.

I just stood there staring at all this blood. The bloke in the car was all panicky. He just kept saying he never saw me coming. Over and over... All I could think of was how Mum would go crazy when she saw the rips in my jeans. And there was something else. I couldn't stop shaking... Scary.

I've got ten stitches down this knee and a massive bruise down that one. Really sore. Did my shoulder in as well...

Everyone in the Mosque stares at me. They do. I have to sit with the old men who can't even kneel. It doesn’t bother me... except I don't get to see me cousins. So that's boring. In hospital they had to get all the bits of grit and dirt out of my cut. Trust me. You do not want to know how they do that. I almost ended up losing my two front teeth as well. They managed to save them but there was lots of blood, man, and they had to X-ray my teeth and my jaw.

We never made it to the cinema. It really shook me up. I know now I should have kept my eyes peeled. Left more space between me and the cars. Looking around all the time and stuff... He wasn't looking but neither was I.

Next time I'll be ready for it. Amir Hazard: always on the ball... Crash! Bang! Only there won't be a next time. No chance I'm going through this again. Jordan's going to be well jealous of these, though.

It's not put me off my bike though. No chance. But I'll be a lot more careful in the future. Deffo. Just as soon as I'm better... Two weeks and counting.

The kid gets "doored" by an illegal and unacceptable lack of attention by an adult yet the message is that the kid should have left more space etc.

Top Bottom