Di2 Configuration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
As a recent purchaser of Di2, is it me or does the OE std configuration on the right shifter seem not to be logical?

Yes, l accept that it follows the exact same configuration as the mechanical version but somehow it doesn't seem right?

Has anyone swapped the configuration over on x and y via the Shimano e Tube app and if so did it make more sense?

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
In engineering, there's just one thing that stands above logic: standarization. As you've noticed, it follows the same pattern as the mechanical shifters - amongst other things due to safety concerns (e.g. avoiding accidental downshift at high speed).

Someone else could say that it's the left shifter that doesn't make sense for them; that the front brake should be on the left; that right pad for up, left for down and both for front is superb... etc, etc, etc...

I.e. it's a personal thing. Swap it if you want to and see if you like it better - nothing else to say really.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Yes of course it's a personal thing, most things in life are arnt they?

My question was out of curiosity, if it follows the same pattern as mechanical shifters, why does it seem (to me at least) to be so alien and not logical?

Yet the left shifter which again follows the same pattern as the mechanical shifter seems normal and acceptable?

If as you say there is nothing more to say, then please feel free to move onto the next thread

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
My guess would be that this is because on the left shifter: small pad = easier, big pad = harder. Other way round for right.

But I see it differently. On the left shifter: small pad = smaller ring. Same for the right.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom