Di2 to Etube Bluetooth Pairing - Won't connect?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heisenberg71

When you're dead, you're dead
I thought I would experiment with fine tuning / customising the Di2 system, for the first time. Downloaded the Etube apps to both Android and iOS. However I can't get either to pair up via Bluetooth. I have the latest Etube apps, Dfly fitted that works because it already connects via Bluetooth to my Garmin. I then follow the instructions to press Junction Box A button for 0.5 secs to enter pairing mode. However nothing happens and neither device sees Di2 system.

Tried pressing for longer and this just enters gear adjustment and eventually RD Reset modes. Read various articles already but nothing seems to work. Hence I have come to the font of all wisdom.

Am I doing something wrong, it can't be this difficult, can it! Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Not being funny, but can't you just be content with pushing a button when you want to change gear?

OP
OP
Heisenberg71

Heisenberg71

Constructive, thanks.
The system is customisable to suit an individual. You also need to connect to update firmware and fix issues etc.

OP
OP
Heisenberg71

Heisenberg71

Sussed it!
Dfly connects via ANT+ not Bluetooth. The battery on the bike is BTR2, the older type that does not contain wireless / Bluetooth connectivity. If I want to connect wirelessly I need to buy an upgrade to a BT-DN110 battery, £125.99 at Merlin.

Bugger!

Old school via cable to the laptop for now then and put the new battery on the Santa list. However given this BTR2 battery is in great Nick I could either keep it as a spare or sell it on eBay to claw back some cash. Hmmmm....

Hopefully someone in future will search for this thread and find my self-sufficient answer.
In that case, you're welcome :smile:

OP
OP
Heisenberg71

Heisenberg71

What sort of things do the firmware updates do?

Bug fixes, functionality adds and software fixes, as I understand it.
Battery contains computer chip hosting software for the system so periodically needs to be updated. Pretty much like anything nowadays. I'm no expert, but trying to self-educate.

OP
OP
Heisenberg71

Heisenberg71

A old Ant+ mobile phone could be a cheaper route.

You're probably right, sadly. However ETube runs on latest Android or iOS, or alternatively on Windows through the laptop. Complicated stuff.

OP
OP
Heisenberg71

Heisenberg71

Sorted it via cable and laptop. Having now played around with it on the laptop I wouldn't bother spending on the newer battery just to go wireless. No point. It can wait until this battery gives out, hopefully in about ten years time :smile:

BAJ716

Thanks Helsenberg71. I had the exact same problem yesterday with my new Di2 bike. I didn't see anything in the included Junction A manual that mentioned requiring the correct battery, but maybe I skimmed over it. I don't know what I have for p/n's to be honest, but I'm guessing I'm in the same boat as you. Bummer, I was looking forward to not having to drag a laptop out to the garage, much less find one with Windoze installed. Hopefully a Win VM will work.

BAJ716

Actually it appears I would also need the Di2 Inline Wireless Unit - EW-WU111 and cable also, another $105-ish. Not worth it.

JhnBssll

Veteran
That's right, you need a D-fly wireless unit like the EW-WU111 for wireless connectivity. It's not obvious when reading through the specs, a few places seem to advertise that the newer STI's have built in Bluetooth connectivity which isn't the case.

Top Bottom