Did any one see "The ride of my life"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I did and was a bit disapointed.
He started off saying how it wasn't about the most expensive stuff but more about building a special bike, specifically designed to meet his requirements. He then went on to do a tour of some quite expensive component manufacturers and never mentioned anything whatsoever about why he chose what he chose. Nothing at all about the gear ratios and why he chose them, just that they were Campag'...and so on for all of the parts.

There was some interesting stuff in it but nothing about what makes a bespoke bike specific and why, which was what I thought was going to be the point.

I'd have been really interested in how they determined the sizes for his frame, but it gave the impression he got one of the stock sizes rather than it being made to measure.

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I'd have been really interested in how they determined the sizes for his frame, but it gave the impression he got one of the stock sizes rather than it being made to measure.
I just managed to hear them say that they were using the stock frame as a starting point. I would like to have heard more about how a frame is fitted and what certain differences make to the rider. What sort of set up is suited to what sort of riding and what sort of ride quality is expressed. But alas, bugger all.

Really it just looked like a world tour jolly for him. As I say some interesting stuff, especially the visit to Marin county and the birth of mountain biking but not exactly what it said on the tin.

Love your user name btw.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
watched it first time around and bought It's All About the Bike his book of the show.

Didn't gain a great deal of insight as a result of either, and developed the fantasy that the 'top secret' spaces at Campag just contain a few middle-aged Italian women assembling parts made in Taiwan, but I don't think either show or book were aimed at cycling geeks like us.

I was gutted I didn't have the nerve or the know how to get a producer to pay for me to travel the globe building a new bike for me, especially as he seemed to have no inclination to look after the bikes he had.

Seemed a decent enough bloke to be fair.

RedRider

Pulling through
I also peeked at the book. I enjoyed the parts about the role bicycles played in the womens' suffrage movement which was new info to me at the time. The other good bit was him getting fitted for the Rourke frame - I retain the impression it was custom-built but might be wrong - and it's made me lust after a custom steelie ever since. Started to get a bit bored thereafter and I didn't finish the book before handing it back to my friend

S.Giles

These things are always pitched at the lowest common denominator (science programmes with little or no science in them is a particular frustration of mine).

I found the programme in question reasonably enjoyable, nevertheless. I've seen it twice in fact. The first time was before I'd ever built a wheel, so I was particularly interested in that bit second time around.

Steve

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
It was a jolly travelogue that didn't really give insight into the components chosen or why. You could have trawled bike mags & sites like this as a total novice and put much the same wishlist together. The colour scheme he picked wasn't to my taste either.

I hope he is enjoying the bike.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I saw it first time round and never lasted till the end. Disappointing and boring.

If there is sufficient range, then "stock" frames can work.

My Wife has never liked gears, so we discussed the possibility of a Rohloff as it simplified maters

So off we went to St John Street Cycles.

They took one look at the bike she had toured several thousand miles on and told her it was too big!!!!!

Despite our protestations, they gave her a tiny bike to try, insisting that it would be a better fit.

She was initially cynical, but 10 miles later she was convinced, and t was the most comfortable she had ever been

So we bought it, and never looked back.

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
If there is sufficient range, then "stock" frames can work.

My Wife has never liked gears, so we discussed the possibility of a Rohloff as it simplified maters

So off we went to St John Street Cycles.

They took one look at the bike she had toured several thousand miles on and told her it was too big!!!!!

Despite our protestations, they gave her a tiny bike to try, insisting that it would be a better fit.

She was initially cynical, but 10 miles later she was convinced, and t was the most comfortable she had ever been

So we bought it, and never looked back.
This is a bit silly. Shoulder checks are very important.

Top Bottom