Did it again - James bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamNR17

Just won a James Comet bicycle on Fleabay for 26 quid. 21" standard bike with rod brakes and 26" wheels. Seems to have the chainguard missing (presumably it was a fully enclosed type). I was aware James made bicycles, but information on the web seems a bit scarce.

Did they at any point get swallowed up into Raleigh, as seems to be the fate of so many, or did they remain independent while James were still around?

Hopefully get the bike at the weekend.

Well, I needed an excuse to chuck stuff away in the garage to make space for another bike ;)

No, James didn't get taken over by Raleigh. However, your bike was probably one of the many 'badged' bikes made by another manufacturer. Currys, for instance, had all their bikes made by Hercules from around 1933 and they made bikes for other companies, too.

OP
OP
GrahamNR17

GrahamNR17

Hilldodger said:
No, James didn't get taken over by Raleigh. However, your bike was probably one of the many 'badged' bikes made by another manufacturer. Currys, for instance, had all their bikes made by Hercules from around 1933 and they made bikes for other companies, too.
Really useful information, thanks Hilldodger :blush:

Today I found a 1958 James brochure featuring the bike, I now know the style of chainguard that's missing. Should be easy to find a suitable replacement.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Oh dear Graham, you're well and truly hooked. You do know, you're going to end up as the bicycle equivalent of the old lady living with 50 cats?

(I know, because I lived with someone like that for some years, and if I had a shed I expect I'd be just the same...:rolleyes:)

You'll have to get over to Leicester some time to see Hilldodger's workplace.... Think Aladdin's Cave, mingled with supreme shed....

OP
OP
GrahamNR17

GrahamNR17

Arch said:
Oh dear Graham, you're well and truly hooked. You do know, you're going to end up as the bicycle equivalent of the old lady living with 50 cats?

(I know, because I lived with someone like that for some years, and if I had a shed I expect I'd be just the same...:wacko:)

You'll have to get over to Leicester some time to see Hilldodger's workplace.... Think Aladdin's Cave, mingled with supreme shed....
Well yes, but at least I won't have fleas in my bed with fifty bikes - just chain oil :wacko:

Hilldodger really is the Messiah then? :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
GrahamNR17 said:
Well yes, but at least I won't have fleas in my bed with fifty bikes - just chain oil :biggrin:

Hilldodger really is the Messiah then? :wacko:

Well, he'd like to think so....:wacko:

Seriously, if you're ever heading Leicester way, and get a chance to visit Cyclemagic, it's an experience. More pre-loved bikes than you'll see in most places... Promise to bring cake or beer or both, and Roger might give you the guided tour....:biggrin:

Their top floor storage area is a warning against the acquisition of too many old bikes....

Their top floor storage area is a warning against the acquisition of too many old bikes....

....and is going to have all new racking fitted next week. We're actually going to be chucking stuff out:ohmy:

OP
OP
GrahamNR17

GrahamNR17

Hilldodger said:
WOW! :angry:

One day... one day soon (at this rate) my garage/lounge/bedrooms shall look like that ;)

I'm really mighty impressed by your collection, really impressive :bravo:No wonder you've built up such a knowledge about cycling history (fine blog, by the way, really enjoying it).

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hilldodger said:

....and is going to have all new racking fitted next week. We're actually going to be chucking stuff out:ohmy:

Good god!:blush:

I'll never forget that day Tom and I helped you move, and we started off stacking the bikes neatly against each other and ended up having to chuck them on top of each other....!;)

OP
OP
GrahamNR17

GrahamNR17

For better or worse, here's James :smile: Interesting that the rear mudguard mount (pic 5) is in the position usually found on Raleigh bikes, ie low down at the rear, rather than on top.

james1.jpg

james2.jpg

james3.jpg

james4.jpg

james5.jpg

Arch

Married to Night Train
I say! needs a bit of TLC, but then you'll be able to say "Home, James!" and be carried in stately splendour....

Nice.:smile:

OP
OP
GrahamNR17

GrahamNR17

Arch said:
I say! needs a bit of TLC, but then you'll be able to say "Home, James!" and be carried in stately splendour....

Nice.:smile:
:blush::laugh::biggrin: I like that idea :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I reckon it should be a nice little project over the winter evenings, an hour or two each evening should have it ready in time for summer. :smile:

But it's the last one. Very very definitely the last one ;)

...for now

Top Bottom