Did my first 100 miler yesterday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hotpot

I am looking to hopefully do my first 100m ride next week, as my work has run out at the moment. I got my self a 2nd hand road bike in January after having to give up football due to knee injuries. Since then I have been doing atleast a 25m ride every week. The problem I have had is trying to cram these rides into a spare couple of hours on a sat morning. Now I have a spare few days im going to try and go the whole hog and do 100 in a day. Will this be wise or will I start to crumble at about 60m? I will take my wallet just in case has anyone got any tips.

paul04

Über Member
Well done :thumbsup:

I am looking to hopefully do my first 100m ride next week, as my work has run out at the moment. I got my self a 2nd hand road bike in January after having to give up football due to knee injuries. Since then I have been doing atleast a 25m ride every week. The problem I have had is trying to cram these rides into a spare couple of hours on a sat morning. Now I have a spare few days im going to try and go the whole hog and do 100 in a day. Will this be wise or will I start to crumble at about 60m? I will take my wallet just in case has anyone got any tips.
Well it took me a year, to do the two 50 mile rides, I have done a few 50-70 mile rides/days, and I do ride a lot about 150+ miles a week, I did a 100Km back in Nov, this might be a better target, but some people just do it. Others will advise better than me, I never take the right foods ect, I had just one energy bar with me last night, I could have done with a few other bits.

OP
OP
Mojonaut

Mojonaut

Guru
thanks for the kind words folks

had a day of rest today and watched the Alpe D'Huez stage, big respect to all those riders.

@HLaB Went from Kettering via Kimbolton-Sawtry-Holme-Ramsey-Yaxley-Morborne-Elton-Oundle-Thrapston-Kettering. Fens? yes a lot more heavy and fast traffic than anticipated, came across a head on crash, police were attending. A unique landscape which I imagine is hard going on a windy day, was happy to get back to rural roads with some shade from trees.

Good luck with your ride Hotpot

Bob

Hotpot

Well it took me a year, to do the two 50 mile rides, I have done a few 50-70 mile rides/days, and I do ride a lot about 150+ miles a week, I did a 100Km back in Nov, this might be a better target, but some people just do it. Others will advise better than me, I never take the right foods ect, I had just one energy bar with me last night, I could have done with a few other bits.

Thank you for the tips maybe I've been a bit optimistic but I suppose you never know how you are going to go unless you try! Mind over matter and all that!

thanks for the kind words folks

had a day of rest today and watched the Alpe D'Huez stage, big respect to all those riders.

@HLaB Went from Kettering via Kimbolton-Sawtry-Holme-Ramsey-Yaxley-Morborne-Elton-Oundle-Thrapston-Kettering. Fens? yes a lot more heavy and fast traffic than anticipated, came across a head on crash, police were attending. A unique landscape which I imagine is hard going on a windy day, was happy to get back to rural roads with some shade from trees.

Good luck with your ride Hotpot

Bob
Nice One :rolleyes: I've been in the Fens when its been really windy, yes its hard work indeed but even on calmer day if theres a breeze they can be a challenge there just no hiding place! I think the way you came was on the B660 o r the old A1 both have got quite long straights, particularly Ramsey Road on the B660, resulting in stupid speeds and they can be intimidating! When I'm out on my own I tend to make for those quieter rural roads :thumbsup:

Nice One :rolleyes: I've been in the Fens when its been really windy, yes its hard work indeed but even on calmer day if theres a breeze they can be a challenge there just no hiding place! I think the way you came was on the B660 o r the old A1 both have got quite long straights, particularly Ramsey Road on the B660, resulting in stupid speeds and they can be intimidating! When I'm out on my own I tend to make for those quieter rural roads :thumbsup:
I get this if I go East or North East, its very similar terrain, and its what happened last night, I just couldn't get going at all until after about 20 miles or so.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I live on a prairie, but the prairie is filled with corn, now 8 feet high, rather a natural windbreak and humidity collector. A few breaks for soybeans or pumpkins, now and again.

Top Bottom