Did my first sportive on Monday!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr.Si

I thought I would share that I tpok part in my first sportive on Bank holiday Monday (star wars day).

It was organised by Cycle Tours UK and started and ended at the South Lodge Hotel near Horsham in West Sussex.

I did the 80km route (there was a 15, 60, 80 and 130) : I think the 130 would have been too much for me.

It was fantastic weather for it, great signage and organisation and the 2 food stops had wonderful snackage!
Topped off with a BBQ in the stunning hotel grounds.

My dad and I rode together and averaged 13.8mph.

there was only about 100 who signed up, so it was bery quiet. Would have liked it if there were more there but I think it was the first time in this location for cycle tours UK. The location was perfect for me as it was practically on my doorstep.

I would do it again!

Mrs M

Guru
Well done, glad you enjoyed it and got decent weather. :smile:
Sounds like a well organised good day out.
80 km is a good distance.

Well done you :thumbsup:. Sportives are really not my bag, a friend of mine, who is just getting into cycling, was doing a Sportive on the Isle of Wight, on Sunday, and asked me if I minded riding with her, as she had only done one other Sportive, and didn't fancy riding with a bunch of strangers. Before I did the ride, I didn't care much for Sportives, and although the organisation of this one was particularly good, I still don't like Sportives, which sucks, because the next time I'm doing one is on the second of August, I'm doing this one for charity, because I promised I would, but I am not relishing the idea. Anyway, I digress. If you enjoyed it, that's the main thing, each to their own, and vive la difference, and all that:smile:.

OP
OP
M

Mr.Si

Thanks all, your comments are kind.

My body was certainly aching on the last third of the ride!

I wonder when I will do my next one!

For now, I am looking forward to going to Kettlewell (just leisure riding) in August. That should be slightly more challenging terrain!

Top Bottom