Did my new bag destroy my saddle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
(I think the answer is yes, so the real question is will it destroy my next saddle?)

I just bought a Carradura maxi saddle bag. I put my tools, wallet and keys etc and a small bottle of water in it, total weight just under 2kg. It was bouncing around a bit against my legs, so I wrapped a velcro strap through the seat stay strap underneath and through my seat rails - that's blue and yellow.
IMG_4324.png

Half an hour later, the saddle gave way under me. The rail had snapped
IMG_4326.png
It can't be a coincidence, it's right where I put the strap. But did the strap break the saddle, or was it due to break soon? Put another way: if I do the same thing to my new saddle, will that break in the same way?

(saddle came with bike 3 1/2 years ago. I've been in it over 200 hours so far this, and the bike has been used less but still a lot in the previous years. I'm about 40kg under the maximum weight for this bicycle)

thanks!

rb58

Enigma
That loks like it has sheared at the point where it is clamped to the seat post. It could have a failed bacause the clamp has been overtightened, which is a more likely an explanation than the saddle bag. I think.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
That loks like it has sheared at the point where it is clamped to the seat post. It could have a failed bacause the clamp has been overtightened, which is a more likely an explanation than the saddle bag. I think.
no way could it be been overtightened to shear like that, the clamp is alloy with a steel bolt the thread would have gone first that is metel fatigue and it snapped at it's weakest pointed

Thanks, this is really useful.

Don't know what the rails are made of. I have zero metallurgic knowledge, and it's just the stock saddle that came with a mezzo d9 in 2008. The current specs describe it as a "mezzo comfort saddle"

I have to think that cinching it with the velcro strap was a factor in it breaking. After 3 1/2 years of nearly daily use, it breaks exactly where I'd pulled the strap tightly around within 1/2 hour of me first fitting it - but the strap was just the final insult, and it would have broken within days or weeks anyway.

postman

Legendary Member
I have the same bag on mt Secteur Elite.It was making squeeking noises.So i wrapped a bit of insulating tape around the rails and around the seatpost where the straps touched and hey presto it stopped.

the snail

Guru
It looks like the seat is adjusted quite a way back, so the rails have been flexing under the op's weight, i.e. the rails were too flimsy..

Cubist

Still wavin'
It looks like the seat is adjusted quite a way back, so the rails have been flexing under the op's weight, i.e. the rails were too flimsy..

Bang on. Treat yourself to a new saddle, try to adjust it so it isn't all the way back. Your bag hasn't broken your saddle, so don't

fret!

I was happy with the position of the seat. I'm on a folder, so was using it to increase the cockpit. Now replaced by a Brooks (ouch!) and I took it off to massage lotion into it last night, so will replace it more centrally.

Thanks

Top Bottom