Did you change from Hybrid to Drop Bar Bike

First bike a Hybrid/Flat Bar. Have you changed to a Drop Bar Bike?

• Use hybrid/flat bar only

Votes: 481 40.9%
  • Use both a hybrid/flat bar and drop bar bike

Votes: 487 41.4%
  • Use drop bar bike only

Votes: 206 17.5%
  • Don't/Can't ride anymore

Votes: 5 0.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sixmile

Veteran
I'm a step behind on the journey. I've been riding a Cannondale Trail mtb for a few months, purely on the road, and now I'm deciding whether to slowly transition ie to hybrid, or to go the whole hog and buy a drop bar cycle. The hybrid seems and easier transition, and probably more comfortable, and I may never go to road bikes. Or I might find hybrid an unnecessary interim step. Any advice would be welcome. Btw I'm 61 yo.

I restarted my cycling on a cheapo MTB with flat bars, bought a semi-decent hybrid and upped my mileage and reignited my cycling enjoyment then bought a decent road bike. Fast forward 5 years, my road bike hardly turns a wheel and 90% of my annual cycling mileage is done between a decent touring barred hybrid, a looped bar cheapish fat bike and a butterfly barred tandem - all of which will do 50-100 mile rides fairly often.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I'm not sure if I've replied to this in the past or not. I re-started my cycling hobby on a MTB, changed the tyres to skinny slicks and got a better saddle so started doing longer rides. Then got a road bike but converted drops to flat bars, then converted gears to single speed, then sold it and got an ebike

iandg

Legendary Member
I've ridden drops since I was 12. Started to struggle around 2020 with shoulder pain and fatigue. In 2022 I was diagnosed with PMR. All bikes are "flats" now to reduce the load on my shoulders and upper arms.

Sallar55

Veteran
My touring bike is flat bars with Ergon grips now. Don't need mitts when the grips are set to the correct angle.Expect most people can't do the Racing snake position when they get older. Road bikes are still drops.

Top Bottom