Didn't Bradley Hoy do well....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TVC

....In that one where they chase the motorbike.

As I suspected would happen, all my work mates have become overnight track cycling experts and life long fans. Particularly vexing are the couple of guys who relentlessly took the pee out of me last easter for taking a day off work to go to the World Champs, but now... xx(

I expect everyone here is suffering the same thing, and by thursday we will have to hear about peoples exploits with their BMXs when they were kids.

(Secretly though I'm dead chuffed that people around me now get cycling)

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I've got people telling me how uncle so & so used to be a cyclist and had a bike you could lift with one finger blah blah blah...

As bad as when 'Stan' Boardman used to be in the news.

woohoo

Veteran
Flying_Monkey said:
I think you are missing the point - VC is satirising the sudden interest in cycling of his non-cycling colleagues... ;)
Agreed but look at walker's location. He's probably lost interest in cycling :sad:

walker

workers_united said:
Agreed but look at walker's location. He's probably lost interest in cycling ;)

I'm missing cycling in the farest extreme's. All the bikes are in the container on their way over, and all I see is people on bikes over here, cycling up and down the coastal roads.

I've been offered to use other people's bikes, but as anyone knows, its just not the same.

GilesM

Legendary Member
....In that one where they chase the motorbike.

Last weekend, everyone kept asking me, why do they have the strange motorbike, what's the point of that, this week, they just ask me to explain the madison.

(Secretly though I'm dead chuffed that people around me now get cycling)

I am also delighted, nothing makes me more happy than to see so much track cycling on TV and to see our peeps doing so well, I can remember when the team pursuit riders didn't even have the same bikes. Makes me want to go out and buy a lottery ticket.

The only bad point is that I'm thinking about buying a fixed wheel bike this winter, just worried that the guy in the shop will think I'm another daft sod who watched the Olympics and thinks he can ride a track bike, I'll have to make sure I drop in a few lines about wishing I hadn't sold my track bike when I stopped racing blah blah.

Giles

Blonde

This morning I was asked to explain why riders lurk about at the top of the track and/or keep looking behind them (at their opponant) during the sprint.

OP
OP
T

TVC

GilesM said:
The only bad point is that I'm thinking about buying a fixed wheel bike this winter, just worried that the guy in the shop will think I'm another daft sod who watched the Olympics and thinks he can ride a track bike, I'll have to make sure I drop in a few lines about wishing I hadn't sold my track bike when I stopped racing blah blah.

Giles

Yes, for a while now I've been meaning to treat myself to a taster session at Manchester Velodrome. I guess I'd better leave it for a while so they don't think I'm rolling in on the bandwagon.

Kovu

Über Member
One of my best guy mates has taken up cycling, nothing serious, he just wants to get fit and have a bit of a laugh, so he bought himself a cheap bike.

Had coffee today and ended up talking about sports, and comparing the highlights of this games, he decided on Phelps, while I choose our success in the track cycling. Now i'd like to say I am in part a bit knowledgeable on the subject, I try to follow as much of cycling on road and track as I can, so I would say I know a little.

My mate then decided, after having a bike for a few days and because he has seen our success on the track that he suddenly knows everything about it! He goes to me something among the lines of "Phelps is obvisiouly the best because he has to use real stratagey (spelling ?) and the cyclist just ride round on a big wooden circle ... whoever pedals quickest wins. Same in that tour thingy."

I then spent the next hour trying to tell him it was more of a team sport and had a lot of stragey (spelling ?) involved and he still says that cycling is merely peddaling around a wooden circle.

Suddenly everyone is an expert! ;)

My spelling is horrid on this I do apologize!

Blonde

The Velvet Curtain said:
Yes, for a while now I've been meaning to treat myself to a taster session at Manchester Velodrome. I guess I'd better leave it for a while so they don't think I'm rolling in on the bandwagon.
:tongue: They don't care - as long as you pay! It's our spondoolies what helps keep it open folks! The more of us that get down there and start pedalling the better. BTW I can't advocate fixed enough for commuting, esp in winter. Most excellent and the easy to clean, yet also infrequent need of cleaning is a big bonus. I only ever ride fixed for the commute into/out of Manchester now.

Top Bottom