Didsbury to Macclesfield commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Coronakid

I start a new job in Macclesfield on Monday. I am thimpnking of commuting about once a week. Any advice gratefully received. I was thinking Didsbury - Cheadle- handforth- Macclesfield on A 538
has anyone any experience? Am I mad?

OP
OP
C

Coronakid

PS I live in Didsbury

Sharky

Guru
What's the distance, 15 miles?
That's a nice distance for a commute, not too short and not too long. One which you could easily do 5 days a week. Although, might be wise to wait fot the spring.

Good luck

How about THIS ROUTE to avoid traffic?
I can vouch for the route @ColinJ has provided as being absolutely superb. I included that exact stretch in a solo 111 mile ride I did in July this year from Littleborough to Leek and return. The largely off road stretch (mainly NCN 55) is excellent with a very good surface and beautifully scenic too. I rode it from East Didsbury rather than Didsbury but the difference is only approximately 1 mile less. Although it was during a very dry period it should be virtually mud and puddle free all year round as the surface is so good.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The good thing about the Middlewood Way is it's flat and traffic free. However, the surface is soft and slower going than on the roads and, as @fossyant says, it can be quite muddy in places

I would probably take the B538 like you suggest. You're going against the commuting flow of traffic which tends to be towards Manchester and, after Dean Row, it should quieten down a fair bit

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I've been doing the stretch from Wilmslow to Macc for the last 20 years!

I'd advise against the a538, it's really busy, bendy, and thoroughly unpleasant at rush hour, though covid may have improved things (I've not commuted since March).

From Handforth, my route is through Wilmslow, past the station then zigzag through the back lanes through Mottram; either drop down to Prestbury or pick up the B5087 depending on exactly where you want to get yo in Macc.

Much nicer, about 2 miles longer.

OP
OP
C

Coronakid

thank you all. I worked out this route from Handforth. Any thoughts?
1605472779270.png

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
thank you all. I worked out this route from Handforth. Any thoughts?
View attachment 558368
I quite often ride that route from Wilmslow. It is probably the quietest reasonably direct route. If you want to shorten it you can a bit by going along Prestbury Rd out of Wilmslow and cutting up past Mottram St Andrew Village Hall rather than along Hough Lane. There are loads of different routes, it depends how comfortable you are on relatively busy roads at rush hour. In the summer I have been known to divert a bit on the way home via Buxton :whistle:

OP
OP
C

Coronakid

I did it! Didnt quite realise how high Macclesfield is and there was a 5mph wind Against me so glad I allowed oodles of time to get there. In contrast sailed back with wind behind me but got lost. Must learn my route backwards as well as forwards. One a week enough for me at the moment but will try to build up. Thank you for all your kind advice

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I did it! Didnt quite realise how high Macclesfield is and there was a 5mph wind Against me so glad I allowed oodles of time to get there. In contrast sailed back with wind behind me but got lost. Must learn my route backwards as well as forwards. One a week enough for me at the moment but will try to build up. Thank you for all your kind advice

Good effort in winter even once a week, that's a fair distance.

Top Bottom