Didsbury to Macclesfield commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I did it! Didnt quite realise how high Macclesfield is and there was a 5mph wind Against me so glad I allowed oodles of time to get there. In contrast sailed back with wind behind me but got lost. Must learn my route backwards as well as forwards. One a week enough for me at the moment but will try to build up. Thank you for all your kind advice
Well done! A very pleasant ride and route to look forward to each week.

Sharky

Guru
I did it! Didnt quite realise how high Macclesfield is and there was a 5mph wind Against me so glad I allowed oodles of time to get there. In contrast sailed back with wind behind me but got lost. Must learn my route backwards as well as forwards. One a week enough for me at the moment but will try to build up. Thank you for all your kind advice
Well done, in the Spring, you'll have to start going for a lunch time pootle to the "Cat" for a drink and sarnie.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well done, in the Spring, you'll have to start going for a lunch time pootle to the "Cat" for a drink and sarnie.
If you mean the Cat & Fiddle... It closed a few years ago!

PS I just checked - it has been bought and was supposed to be refurbished in the summer but the Coronavirus pandemic has delayed that.

Sharky

Guru

PS I just checked - it has been bought and was supposed to be refurbished in the summer but the Coronavirus pandemic has delayed that.
I hadn't realised it had closed either. Must be over 50 years since I last cycled past it. We used to go on towards Buxton and there used to be a cafe on the right hand side where I used to get beans on toast, then ride back over the top and down the Great descent into Macclesfield. Did go in the pub once or twice when we were visiting relatives on Merseyside, but that was a few years ago as well.

OP
OP
C

Coronakid

Update
did it again this week. Easier than last week but had to comeback in the dark and worried about fast cars in unlit country roads so put bike on train from Macclesfield to Bramhall and then cycled back from Bramhall on nice lit roads. Grand - the train but is so easy

straas

Matt

It was open last time I was up there a couple of months ago. Was actually the first time I went up the cat from macc, always gone via Goyt valley before - it's a long old slog, especially with a headwind!

It was seriously windy and the descent down into Buxton was not much fun.

Top Bottom