Diesel emissions claim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
So apparently owners of any diesel car can make a claim against the manufacturer for so called false emissions claims for their cars.
We have a 2012 Peugeot 3008. Some sites say yes we can others not. I thought it was only VW. Its the usual no win no fee and they take 50% of any successful claim(!)
I am very sceptical.
Any experience here of this?

vickster

Legendary Member
Are the emissions claims for your car actually false? If not, not sure why you feel the need to claim?

OP
OP
Teamfixed

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
TBH this is a bit hearsay... somebody told me about it and there certainly are "companies" claiming that they can make claims. Peugeot are currently under investigation it seems.

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
I see companies touting for business from Vauxhall owners as well.

Are the emissions claims for your car actually false? If not, not sure why you feel the need to claim?
As the defeat software was installed to many cars it seems, the claim is simply that the emissions figures claimed by the manufacturers were incorrect , its that simple in reality. In essense, the software caused erroneous and 'generous' emissions figures at the point of testing. The car would not meet the emissions at almost any other time. That extends to anyone who brought a car with that software installed.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
What loss did the owners actually suffer?
I presume MPG wasn’t affected so the running costs were no different.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Upset :laugh:

figbat

Slippery scientist
The angst of unknowingly and unwittingly contributing harmful emissions to the atmosphere? Emissions linked to cardio-pulmonary disorders, asthma and other conditions? Of buying and driving a car that did not "do what it said on the tin"? Of choosing one particular model over another because of its supposed mix of performance, economy and cleanliness? The theoretical loss of having a car that nobody wants to buy second hand, thus having lower trade-in or resale value?

Most of the arguments I have seen are theoretical, however selling millions of units under deliberately created false pretences must have consequences. I had one of the VW cheaty-diesels (in a Skoda). When I found out about what they had done (by the way, they were not the first to do this, nor allegedly the only ones) I immediately knew that any 'fix' would be detrimental to the car. They claimed they could fix the emissions with no loss in performance but knowing what I know I knew this was thermodynamically impossible - after all, if it were possible then it would have been how the car left the factory. I therefore refused the numerous attempts to 'fix' my engine and sure enough I saw increasing numbers of issues being reported on 'fixed' cars, the sorts of issues I predicted would happen: EGR issues, DPF regen issues, fuel economy issues etc.

In truth the cars will have run more economically on the cheating software but since it is impossible to calculate how much fuel you did use vs how much you would have used, and how much the car is worth vs how much it would have been, any loss (or not) is open to enormous interpretation and assumption. You can't escape the fact that the cars did not perform as specified and were technically illegal as they didn't meet (nor even get close to) European emissions legislation demands. This wasn't a case of ignoring unwanted data, it was a case of actively looking for, developing and implementing ways to cheat the testing protocols.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
The angst of unknowingly and unwittingly contributing harmful emissions to the atmosphere? Emissions linked to cardio-pulmonary disorders, asthma and other conditions?
Surely if you’re that worried about thr damage to health caused by cars, don’t drive one? Or certainly not a stinky dieselxx(

clearly there’s been dodgy behaviour from certain manufacturers

Last edited:

figbat

Slippery scientist
Surely if you’re that worried about thr damage to health caused by cars, don’t drive one? Or certainly not a stinky dieselxx(
Indeed, but what if you are just a little bit aware of and concerned about the issue and are persuaded by brochure data that it isn't as bad as is made out? This all happened back in the Day of the Diesel - when they were ubiquitous, snatching more sales in some countries than petrol because they offered big torque and big economy. FFS there were even diesel performance and sports cars - they won Le Mans 5 times.

D

Deleted member 26715

But the UK Government in the 90's & early 2K's actively encouraged people to buy diesel for it's frugalness of Dinosaur juice

Drago

Legendary Member
Surely if you’re that worried about thr damage to health caused by cars, don’t drive one? Or certainly not a carcongenic benzine added lead free petrol.
Thats an inconvenient fact that some petrol car owners forget in their haste to show how pious they are.

You either pollute with a motorised vehicle (including battery power, as more than half of particulate emissions come from tyres and brakes), or you cycle/walk.

There isn't a middle way, or a hierarchy that allows people to tut tut at those below them on their imaginary scale of piety. You either pollute on the road, or you don't.

Top Bottom