diesel pollution

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Hydrogens a chimaera at the present state of affairs. It simply moves emissions from the tailpipe to a coal burning power station.

I run my old heap on veg, which cuts particulate emissions by about 75%. So low that at the last test Mr MOT had to keep resetting the machine because the particulate smoke levels were so low they weren't triggering it. Who would've thought being tight would have other benefits?
May I ask what type of veg oil? And didn't veg oil prices rocket to the same price as diesel as soon as the supermarkets and wholesalers realised that people were filling their fuel tanks rather than their deep fat fryers?

GrasB

Veteran
Well I didn't drive the polo in town... ever! :tongue:

It's also probably worth noting that the CanAM is probably the car which defines her default acceleration levels. So a slight whiff of the throttle in that might have been 50% WOT in the in the Polo.

Last edited:

young Ed

Veteran
Don't Mercs now use a urea based DPF system, can regen whenever required and not just at high engine temps?
not sure, my dads mercedes sprinter van regens when and as it wants and the revs go up a bit and the engine temp shoots right up and then drops back down along with the revs when regen is complete
Cheers Ed

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Here in Canada we have lots of diesel trucks and people like to modify them to put out hugh plumes of black smoke. Google "rolling coal" and you will see what I mean.

I did Google it, I don't swear often but that made me swear. Seriously, there's not much hope for the future if that's the sort of thing people are aspiring to, "sh!t for brains" comes to mind.. :sad:

classic33

Leg End Member
I did Google it, I don't swear often but that made me swear. Seriously, there's not much hope for the future if that's the sort of thing people are aspiring to, "sh!t for brains" comes to mind.. :sad:
Say what you really mean!

The trucks are very often $80,000+ Heavy Duty pick ups driven by local oil rig workers or "Rig Pigs". It is done to show off just how much money they make, and how little money means to them.

albion

Guru
Strangely I semi recall that I was cycling around central London when all cars were banned.
Not for pollution but some big event that eludes me.

I wonder, how many of the population there would object to odd/even days just for weekends ?

albion

Guru
Are more drivers the answer?
The government just cut the rice of the driving license.

I guess with an election around every corner there is little room for austerity.

Top Bottom