Dieter's "straw moment"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was wondering about other people's "straw moment". By this I mean the moment the straw broke the camel's back and you decided "that's it, I'm getting fit." Not just the, "I must do it soon" part. A lot of people try but it's a complete change of lifestyle, not just a phase or fad - like giving up smoking. This is the moment you snapped and took charge.

For me, it wasn't the panting when I got to the top of the stairs, although you'd think it was a sign but I chose to ignore it. It wasn't the fact I looked down and saw my gut and not what is below it.

One day it dawned on me that my habits would transfer to my then unborn child. I didn't/don't want him/her to be a lard arse at school like I was. I want to be able to play football at the park and do things with my children and so I'd not have to "just about" squeeze through the turnstyles at a football ground like I did not so long ago.

For all that and all the sweat and tears since, it was a stark and worthwhile realisation. My life expectancy has already improved and I'll be around longer for my children.

Does anyone have a story of the moment they decided to make the change?

Garz

Squat Member
Similar circumstances with working away a lot, driving taking the opportunist McRoundabout stops and hotel meals meant I put on weight and it stayed on. Controlled it via a summer of hybrid bike activity and mainly a good diet substituting lunch for fruit made a huge difference.

I then caught the cycling bug and invested in a road bike not long before that years TdF which carried momentum and glad I did as it's great for keeping the weight off!

defy-one

For me it came in April after my knee op. I figured at 46,this was my last chance to make a permanent change. Knee ,hip & ankles will last a lot longer if they don't have to haul 15.5 stones of me about!

Started riding the mtb and bso. Then the olympics meant i had to find an alternative commute to driving around london.
Now cycling has been incorporated into my daily life. Weight is dropping off. I feel great. Look great and havn't be this happy about my body for 20 years.
Currently weigh 14 stone and decreasing :smile:

Top Bottom