Dieter's "straw moment"

Discussion in 'Training, Fitness and Health' started by MattL, 6 Aug 2012.

1. I was wondering about other people's "straw moment". By this I mean the moment the straw broke the camel's back and you decided "that's it, I'm getting fit." Not just the, "I must do it soon" part. A lot of people try but it's a complete change of lifestyle, not just a phase or fad - like giving up smoking. This is the moment you snapped and took charge.

For me, it wasn't the panting when I got to the top of the stairs, although you'd think it was a sign but I chose to ignore it. It wasn't the fact I looked down and saw my gut and not what is below it.

One day it dawned on me that my habits would transfer to my then unborn child. I didn't/don't want him/her to be a lard arse at school like I was. I want to be able to play football at the park and do things with my children and so I'd not have to "just about" squeeze through the turnstyles at a football ground like I did not so long ago.

For all that and all the sweat and tears since, it was a stark and worthwhile realisation. My life expectancy has already improved and I'll be around longer for my children.

Does anyone have a story of the moment they decided to make the change?

2. Garz

Garz Squat Member

Similar circumstances with working away a lot, driving taking the opportunist McRoundabout stops and hotel meals meant I put on weight and it stayed on. Controlled it via a summer of hybrid bike activity and mainly a good diet substituting lunch for fruit made a huge difference.

I then caught the cycling bug and invested in a road bike not long before that years TdF which carried momentum and glad I did as it's great for keeping the weight off!

3. defy-one

defy-one Guest

For me it came in April after my knee op. I figured at 46,this was my last chance to make a permanent change. Knee ,hip & ankles will last a lot longer if they don't have to haul 15.5 stones of me about!

Started riding the mtb and bso. Then the olympics meant i had to find an alternative commute to driving around london.
    Now cycling has been incorporated into my daily life. Weight is dropping off. I feel great. Look great and havn't be this happy about my body for 20 years.
    Currently weigh 14 stone and decreasing :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice