Difference a week of not smoking makes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello all,

Hopefully this will inspire more to try to give up the ciggy's.

I gave up smoking a week ago and my average has increased by 1mph already.

Did a 42 mile route last week with an average of 15.1mph. Did exactly the same route this weekend and average was 16.2 mph. Weather conditions were pretty much the same. Felt far stronger going up a few bumps too. Might just be a oneoff, but on my other rides I could tell the difference. Going to do the same route again when the weather is simular, to see if it was a one off.

No brainer that stopping smoking would help, but I was surprised that it would be so quick.

Also saw Mark Cavendish out training in Essex (Blackmore). I believe his girlfriend is an essex girl.

Decided against testing out my new speed on him :-). He was going at a fair pace.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Strong work!

Like you I noticed a significant difference in just a week, on the hills more than the flat: instead of being done in and having nothing left, I was able to dig in and crack on.

And it just keeps getting better...

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Excellent. Well done. GF and I gave up 2 years last Feb. We started to notice the difference when we went up to Robin Hoods Bay for a long weekend a few weeks after stopping. The walk back up was definitely easier then the last time we were there.
Now we're losing weight as well (almost 4st each) and that is also helping with stamina.
Keep up staying off the weed. As John Lennon said "
And curse Sir Walter Raleigh
He was such a stupid get."

Top Bottom