Difference between bike racks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cambsno

Looking at something like https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/r...i_rack_940_006/Qx@w,6M42VAwp3@Rb{~cC4ure7yaYo or https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/r...er_proride_598/Qx@w,6M42VAwp3@Rb{~cC4urewxvE2

Almost £100 difference between the cheaper Cruz model or the Thule. There is a cheaper Thule model around £65 (as opposed to £30 or £110). Initially I was set for the more expensive Thule one as when you pay more you get something that is longer lasting, works better and is probably easier to use/setup. But I don't think i will use it much so what's wrong with the cheaper one.

In the past i have transported by taking front wheel off and putting in back of car, but always worried about knocking something on the bike out of alignment or scraping the car. Would normally be used for taking bike to bike shop, picking me up in emergency or have just had enough or (not done this yet) to drive somewhere and bike round somewhere new (i.e. bike 70 miles to London then drive home).

The more I think about it, the more i think the cheaper one will be fine, thoughts?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have 4 Thule freerides. They have been great and taken everything from kids bikes to big trail bikes.

Dan77

I have yet to consider mounting a bike on a car. I do, however, have Thule roof bars and a Thule roof box.

If I was going to put one of my bikes on it, especially the expensive one, I would go for the best Thule one I could. They make good kit.

That's not to say the cheap one won't be fine but I'm not risking a £3k+ bike on a cheaper brand when I know the quality of Thule. If I wasn't buying Thule I think I would like to see it before buying.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I very rarely put my bike on the roof of the car, so I decided that cheap £15 ebay specials would be fine. They are a faff to setup, but certainly do the job. My actual bars and footpacks are Thule and whilst they are great, they are overpriced.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I have 4 Thule freerides. They have been great and taken everything from kids bikes to big trail bikes.
Yep, I have three Thule freerides on my car and I agree they're great... very solid hold on the bikes, good to fit.

I'm not sure I'd like to trust something as "designed to a price point" as the Cruz one to hold 4k worth of bikes over a car at 70mph. They look kind of flimsy.
The dearer Thule models, I'm not sure what the extra money gets; I did research them but I was unclear on the difference, and the Freerides seemed to be well regarded. The Freeride by the way is the one that's about 65.

D

Deleted member 23692

Check out the Atera gear too. Quality is easily on a par with Thule carriers, but surpasses them in function and design IMO.

I've had various Thule gear in the past but then swapped to Atera Giro AF carriers, and now use the Giro Speed carriers.

I do still use Thule wingbar racks though

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Yep, I have three Thule freerides on my car and I agree they're great... very solid hold on the bikes, good to fit.

I'm not sure I'd like to trust something as "designed to a price point" as the Cruz one to hold 4k worth of bikes over a car at 70mph. They look kind of flimsy.
The dearer Thule models, I'm not sure what the extra money gets; I did research them but I was unclear on the difference, and the Freerides seemed to be well regarded. The Freeride by the way is the one that's about 65.

My Freerides are Halfords Advanced ones (just rebadged Thule)- I got all 4 for £130 on BOGOF ! :okay: This was 15 or so years ago.

footloose crow

Über Member
The more expensive Thule rack has a torque safety feature to prevent you over tightening and crushing the frame.

On a long journey - say the 500 miles we do to France - I also cross brace the bikes with straps running from the top bar and down to the sides. Stops any swaying and the potential forces transmitted to the frame.

I am always OK putting my steel/Ti/ alu bikes on the roof but retain some fear about carbon. The manufacturers will not cover damage form a roof mounted rack and the various internet threads on it are a little disconcerting.

Top Bottom