difference between race and endurance bikes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
As a bloke, have noticed no difference in comfort between the hoods on the Litespeed (RS685 hydraulic levers) and Trek (vintage Ultegra 6500, cable discs). RS685s have stroke and reach adjustment as standard.
Common sense for the bling option- buy Ultegra, then switch to 105 chains and cassettes.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Also bear in mind that there are many different handlebar geometries.
Different widths & amounts of drop, reach etc.
And one thing I found makes a huge difference to the comfort of the shifter hoods, is the amount of 'flare' (which tilts the 'horns' of the shifters inwards slightly)

What works for me (for long rides) is an (almost) slammed stem (admittedly on a longish head-tube - but still several inches below saddle height) and a wide, shallow drop, short reach, slightly flared CX handlebar (Salsa Cowbell), but I'd be the last person to 'recommend' that set up because we are all so different in body shape, strength and flexibility.

Onyer

Interesting question and you can spend a lot of time doing research - but that is a big part of the fun in buying a new bike. I moved from a flat bar hybrid to a Spesh Roubaix, which is a great bike. I rode LEJOG on it and it performed well. Later on I bought a Titanium frame and built up the bike with handbuilt wheels and Ultegra 6800. It is super smooth and great for endurance rides and light touring as it will take a rear rack for panniers.
I sold the Roubaix and bought a Cervelo, which has a more 'racy' geometry, but is equally as comfortable as the Roubaix. I did a 94 mile sportive on it and didn't feel any more fatigued than normal. The other day I test rode a Storck Aerfast, which is an aero bike and different again from my bikes. Although it was only a short 8 mile ride I was surprised at how comfortable it was to ride. I was expecting something stiffer and less compliant.

I very rarely use the drops as I have back problems, but when I do I agree with @PpPete that different bars can make a difference. I will have to change the bars on the Ti bike as I don't like them as much as the ones on the Cervelo.
Also Ultegra v 105. If you can afford it got for Ultegra as @ianrauk says it is just that bit crisper than 105.

After all the bunny above enjoy the process of looking and trying. One thing is for certain - once you have bought the bike you will eventually look to upgrade! Probably the wheels first - then another bike - then more wheels then.........

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
@Roadrider48 @ianrauk Out of interest guys have you stuck to the original 11-32 cassette?

also are the brifter levers easily operable from the hoods and the drops? is there any way of adjusting reach on them?

105 or ultegra, looks like quite a bit of extra cash to go ultegra?
I upgraded my Roubaix groupset to an Ultegra Di2 a while back with an 11/28 cassette. Never felt the need to go up to 32. As @ianrauk says the 105 groupset is fantastic at the price point (especially the newish 11 speed one, particularly for front shifting. And is reasonably priced)
The shifters are adjustable via shims to bring the levers closer to the bars and as someone mentioned the new ones can be screwed inward via a small screw under the hoods.
The BMC I have came with the 11 speed 105 before I upgraded that aswell. But it is an excellent groupset all the same.
As Ian said earlier you are welcome to try mine also if you are ever in the West London area.

You can reducing your frontal profile by going narrow as well as low. Putting aerobar extensions on your flat bars may be just as effective.
The shape of road bars offers a multitude of different handholds and an absence of sticky-outy bits during a race pile-up. For solo riders such a time trailers, a flat basebar and aerobar setup is common.

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
@ianrauk @Roadrider48 Hey guys that is a mighty generous offer and I thank you both, I have had the opportunity today to have a measure up on the 58cm Roubaix frame that I would need at a shop not too far away.

I reckon there could very well be the Ultegra version on order in the next 48 hours.....

@vickster Indeed, Dover I be.....

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
@ianrauk @Roadrider48 Hey guys that is a mighty generous offer and I thank you both, I have had the opportunity today to have a measure up on the 58cm Roubaix frame that I would need at a shop not too far away.

I reckon there could very well be the Ultegra version on order in the next 48 hours.....

@vickster Indeed, Dover I be.....

No problem's. My offer still stands. My Roubaix frame is a 56.
You're only a train ride away.

ayceejay

Guru
One thing that may help with the set up, other than what has already been mentioned, is to avoid cutting the steer until you are satisfied with the position and even then perhaps have a spacer on top of the stem just in case,

PenttitheFinn

Another hint on bike choice, when people say a comfortable bike, there is riding position to take into account, and ability to soak up the rough surface. The roughness of roads you intend to ride on should be taken into account, and therefore the ability to fit a 28 tyre. You can fit a 28 on a Roubaix.

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Another hint on bike choice, when people say a comfortable bike, there is riding position to take into account, and ability to soak up the rough surface. The roughness of roads you intend to ride on should be taken into account, and therefore the ability to fit a 28 tyre. You can fit a 28 on a Roubaix.

that's answered that then 28's if needed

Top Bottom