Difference Between Road Bike and Cyclo ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
To name but a few- lower gearing for scaling grassy muddy banks, wider clearance around the wheels to stop mud building up, typically these days disc brakes (although these becoming popular on road), knobbly tyres as stock tyres.
Maybe someone could comment on any geometry differences?

vickster

Legendary Member
I think the BB is higher? Head tube maybe higher? Shorter stem? Easier to fit mudguards? Often secondary cross lever brakes

vickster

Legendary Member
Going off road, doing CX, riding on really crap surfaces, if needing to have full mudguards and fixed rack which a roadbike may or may not take, if you want disc brakes on a drop bar bike, CX is the more likely choice although some roadbikes now come with them, if you want a more upright ride

There may be some posts in the CX section which give more insight?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
They are for racing round fields getting very muddy and going fast off road. Why folks like to use them on the road is beyond me, and not get them muddy. Bit like not getting an MTB mucky !

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Cables routed on the top of the top tube, so that you can run with the bike on your shoulder, no bottle cage mounts. A lot of CX bikes aren't real 'Cyclo Cross' bikes at all.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
They are for racing round fields getting very muddy and going fast off road. Why folks like to use them on the road is beyond me, and not get them muddy. Bit like not getting an MTB mucky !

I use mine on the road; it gets vey muddy there.
I like the nippy handling, the disc brakes and the clearance for wide tyres.
It's also proved to be very comfortable (longest ride to date is 174 miles) and I did RRTY on it last audax season.
I bought mine as a frame and fork and kitted it out with low road gearing (50/34 plus 11-32 cassette).

Having said that, I'm just about to fit knobbly tyres to an old set of wheel that I have; there are a few trails that I've got my eye on but even on road tyres it's excellent on the TPT around here.

Binka

Über Member
I've got a Specialized Tricross though I'm sure some would say its not a proper cyclocross bike. I wouldn't call it a road bike though.

Anyway, I got it mainly for commuting and I have some gravelly tow paths to go along. Plus its got all the fixings for a rack and panniers. Plus I wanted accessory brake levers.

Gez73

Veteran
I have a Kona Dew Drop which was marketed as a Cyclo bike but I use it to commute as it has all the mounts for mudguards and a rack and can take 35mm tyres. I do like the fact that the cables all avoid the top tube too, useful for carrying to and from the shed! I use a hybrid in Winter with flat bars and chunkier tyres if not studs for the worst of the weather. I have no use for anything carbon with skinny tyres!!
Gez

bornagainst

Über Member
I ride a Cube Cross Race and it's not that different to my Cube Peloton road bike.

Now with 28mm road tyres, the CX is used for all commuting and also for any Sunday runs with my local group. It's a bit heavier, but it will keep up with road bikes ok.
Seating position is more upright and it feels a bit more like 'sitting on top' of the bike. I also really like the 46/36 chainset.. less of a jump than a 50/34 compact and still plenty fast enough - spin out on 46/11 and you are really moving.

Additional brake levers are also pretty useful - esp for commuting.

And Mudguards! of course... sweet, sweet mudguards!

Top Bottom