difference between shifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Campagnolo
Someone once told me, "Shimano wears out, Campag wears in"

Shame he was a Camapg rep though, and double shame I still don't like Campag either :tongue:

There is a noticeable difference between 9 speed Tiagra and 105, however, once you go from 105 up the ranks the difference decreases rapidly IME.

As I see it Tiagra is the best of the entry stuff, whereas 105 is the bottom of the best stuff. I don't want grief off Tiagra users for that statement, I'm not slagging it in anyway.

I put it down to the trickle down effect, the current 105 is the old Ultegra, the new Ultegra is the old Dura-Ace, and so and so forth. So with Tiagra now upto 10 speed surely the new Tiagra is the old 105, all be it with different shifters if they still have indicators in them?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
My Tiagra equiped bike sports the the older 9 spd version. Yes I do wish I had spent more money back at the point of purchase and gone with either 105, Ultegra, or an SRAM groupset!

My other geared bike is running 105, but it is hard to comment on the difference of Tiagra to 105 based on my two bikes since one is a road bike running Tiagra with STI, and the other is a Tri bike running 105 with bar end shifters and the feel of the shifting via STI and via TT shifters is very different anyway so not really comparable.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Seriously though... going from 2300/Sora style STIs with the side button to Campag is, in IMO, relatively easier than to change from 2300/Sora to Tiagra/105.

OP
OP
O

okeydokey79

the bike im looking at it is the mekk poggio p20 and has tiagra shifters and 105 derailleur and is 10speed.£1000 but have also looked at the cube agree gtc racing but this is £1300 but has full 105 (i think). so just working out differences really, understand the levels of the gears but everything else means nothing to me:blush:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
the bike im looking at it is the mekk poggio p20 and has tiagra shifters and 105 derailleur and is 10speed.£1000 but have also looked at the cube agree gtc racing but this is £1300 but has full 105 (i think). so just working out differences really, understand the levels of the gears but everything else means nothing to me:blush:
A New pair of 105 shifters is circa £150 on line and you could sell the Tiagra ones for a reasonable amount on line if it bothered you and you would still be at a lost less than Cube . So I would look at the other specifications and weight of the bikes. Also see which you feel most comfortable sitting on/riding if you can. Wheels are also an important area of a bike to look at.
Just looked at this and the wheels on the Mekk are cheap, but the frame looks gvfm.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Sorted out my trim, so sorry about that :smile: had too much cable tension!

I still rate 105 way over tiagra though.. It does feel nicer with the softer spring tension and the inboard cables are tidier looking

Sittingduck

Legendary Member

I still rate 105 way over tiagra though.. It does feel nicer with the softer spring tension and the inboard cables are tidier looking

105 is a better quality groupset - we get it! The OP wanted to know about differences in how it is operated, he already accepts there's a quality difference ;)

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire

I prefer the internal cable routing as well. One of the reasons I went for Sram over an Arsis carbon groupo on my last build.

Top Bottom