Difference between Shimano 2300 and Tiagra

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keen but clumsy

Hi all, just a quick query - what are the pros and cons between the Shimano 2300 derailleur on Specalized Tricross Triple and the Shimano Tiagra on the Kona Jake? There is on £50 difference in price of the bike.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
a Deraillier doesnt cost much to upgrade and alone the difference might not be that noticable, its the STI levers that cost the money, so check which levers each bike has. You do NOT want to go upgrading STI's if you can help it.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
STI refers to Shimano Total Integration - their practice of combining brake and gear levers into one component.

To this extent, the Tiagra shifters on the Kona are also STI, however in this instance, the Tiagra mechs and STIs fitted to the Kona are superior to the 2300 components fitted to the Spesh.

OP
OP
K

Keen but clumsy

Interesting stuff. Are all Shimano shifters for road bikes STI? Am I right in thinking that Campag have some different ones?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Shimano 2300 was brought in when they stopped making Sora 8 speed shifters, they are slightly below Sora which are below Tiagra in the Shimano range. 2300 and Sora have a separate button to down shift which is on the inside of the lever making it harder to change when on the drops so serious racers prefer the gear change behind the lever such as tiagra, 105 or campag but a lot of people use Sora. STI just means you have the gear changers integrated into the brake lever with a measured pull amount with each click giving you a standard gear change (Shimano Total Integration). You do occasionally see road bikes with friction shifters still but not that often and normally on lower spec bikes. In the past you had levers on the down tube,the headset and even the bar ends

RyanW

The abominable Bikeman
In short....

Tiagra = better in terms of shifting but more expensive to replace

2300 = Not as good but alot cheaper to replace.

In all honesty go for the tiagra, much better quality,

PpPete

Legendary Member
RyanW said:
In short....

Tiagra = better in terms of shifting but more expensive to replace

2300 = Not as good but alot cheaper to replace.

In all honesty go for the tiagra, much better quality,

OTH the advantage of an 8 speed is the chains last longer (and cheaper). Cassettes also cheaper. But is the 2300 still an 8 speed? One spec I found for the Tricross said it was triple 9.

Ultimately choice is probably more on hand position....if you ride on the drops then Tiagra (or higher), if on the hoods more, then 2300 or Sora (or Campag) may suit you better.

OP
OP
K

Keen but clumsy

Hmm, interesting stuff. I am learning a lot! My instincts say go higher quality. I like riding on the drops so thanks for the tip porkypete. I'm sure I'll end up with a great bike which ever way I go.

pazza98

Sorry to dig up such an old topic, comes from a google search. Can anyone tell me how much it would cost to upgrade the groupset to tiagra?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Shiman 2300 is 8 speed and looks pretty neat. As stated, 8spd is tried and very tested, durable and reliable and cheap to replace. The Sora-style levers will work just fine for most people (and Campagnolo uses a similar system).
http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/shimano-unveil-new-groupsets-20401

What I don't know is how many wheels will take an 8 speed cassette these days? Is it a question of spacers?

Shimano Tiagra is 9 speed and the levers work in the same way as the rest of the higher ranges, the benefit being that you can change gear when in the drops. Tiagra is also smoother shifting and there is a very wide range of 9 spd stuff still available.

If I could within my budget I'd choose 9speed Tiagra.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
To buy a new Tiagra groupset a quick google search kicks up circa £300, I bought a secondhand bike with full tiagra on it for £250 recently, it is quite a decent bike well known brand, good frame carbon forks, seat post and saddle. So depends if you want new or if secondhand is an option, but you may be better just upgrading the whole bike. :smile:

Top Bottom