Different Shimano Tiagra Shifters???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cazturner413

Does anyone know if there are different types of Shimano Tiagra sti shifters for double and single chainsets?

The reason I ask is that Cycle Surgery are advertising 2 sets - a double (4500) and a triple (4503). You would think that was simple enough except that in the write-ups the double says it works with double AND triple gear systems and the triple just says it works with triple systems!!

The prices are the same and the right shifters have the same product code - the only difference I can see is for the left shifter which has a different product code for each set.

If the double works with both why do they need to specify a triple? If the triple is a seperate thing why does the double say it works with a triple?? Is it somehow different?

I'm very confused now :biggrin: and obviously don't want to order the wrong one (I need one for a triple). I know I could probably e'mail the website but I'm ready to place the order now and thought I'd might get a quick answer here. On the face of it I should be able to order either but I wanted to make sure :biggrin:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Order the one for the triple then there's no doubt that you are going to get the one that will work.

Why order goods that are doubtful?

Yes, they will be different. The triple will be able to ratchet a bit more cable (after the double is finished) to pull the front mech a bit further. If you use the triple shifters with a double mech, just make sure you adjust the mech to stop the chain coming off should you inadvertently try to shift up again past the highest chainring.

I'd expect the triple shifters to work fine.

Top Bottom