Different surfaces

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I went off the cycle paths today and encountered some quite rough paths through woodland (loose stones, gravel, puddles of water/light mud and small pot holes).
I ride a hard tail MTB but it's been a long time since I rode it on terrain like this, (and actually a long time since I rode at all!) and I really can't remember how I handled it back then!

How do you handle this terrain? Do you slow down, speed up, loosen your grip or tighten it?
I have Continental semi slicks on the bike and they seemed to cope well enough, although the back wheel jumped a bit when I hit a big stone on the path. I automatically leaned the opposite way, as the tyre felt like it was skidding from under me and the bike straightened up again. I did think I was going to come off at that point!

My bike is very heavy - is this a good thing for riding trails like this?
I did enjoy getting off the smooth cycle paths but I'd like to be more prepared the next time!
Any help and advice much appreciated :smile:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Keep your eyes on where you are riding, pick your line and take it steady.
It's much more fun 'off piste' but you don't get much time to admire the scenery though. As soon as you start checking out passing butterflies, you get to embrace a tree or see a close up of ants and worms.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Good to have a rugged bike for such trails, weight may not be so good, but if it gets you where you are going, well done. Stones on the trail, while at times unavoidable, may require special tactics like bunny hopping, wheelies, and bump thrusts. Like John Tomac and Hans Ray, back in the day.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
It has been a long time since I sawtoothed a log, or jumped a boulder, or did a wheelstand . Of course , I'm on an old GT from a pawnshop now, and not a fancy Schwinn Cimarron like I had back a few years ago.

Hi, drop tyre pressures for a mainly off road ride compared to a mainly on road, rgds, sreten.

This is good advice and makes a huge difference. I'll drop my mtb tyre pressure to just less than 30psi for offroading, compared to 60psi if riding on the road.

Top Bottom