Different types of brakes front and rear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NinjaLemur

Regular
Just noticed the CF forks I have bought to build my bike do not have a disc brake mount, though the frame has disc brake mount for the rear wheel.
2 questions
  1. does anybody know if the Carrera crossfire 2 (2011) model will accommodate rear cantilever brakes?
  2. if not, does anyone see a problem with a rear disc and front cantilever (apart from it looking a bit odd)?

1. I dunno
2. No

lpretro1

Thats going to give way more stopping power to rear over front - doesn't sound too good to me. Other way round is fine

Thats going to give way more stopping power to rear over front - doesn't sound too good to me. Other way round is fine
That is a myth and nothing to worry about, although like you said, you want the disc in the rear. Stopping force (not power) is limited not by traction but by overturning moment. Therefore a more powerful brake (obviously over a minimum of some sort, which most brakes, even poor ones, provide already) cannot make you stop quicker. The only way to stop quicker is to get your centre of gravity lower, preferably lower than the hub height.

Disc brakes have other advantages but quicker stopping in the dry is not one of them.

OP
OP
NinjaLemur

NinjaLemur

Regular
On looking at the frame when I got home the rear can also take cantilever brakes so I think I will go with that at both back and front.

Top Bottom