Different wheels for touring on Secteur?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thistler

Veteran
I have the basic 2010 Sectuer, and am thinking about doing a couple of short tours on it. 

I am a bit concerned about the wheels, I'm no lightweight and with the rack, panniers, tent, etc. will the original wheels be up to the job? I'm planning on using rear panniers only and a handlebar bag, and wouldn't be going off-road...  these are the specs:

Rims:
Alex S500, aluminium, sleeve joint, CNC machined sidewalls
Front Hub:
Forged alloy, sealed, QR, 32h
Rear Hub:
Forged alloy, double-sealed, cassette, QR, 32h
Spokes:
Stainless 14g
Front Tyre:
Specialized All Condition Sport, 700x25c, wire bead, 60TPI, w/ Flak Jacket protection
Rear Tyre:
Specialized All Condition Sport, 700x25c, wire bead, 60TPI, w/ Flak Jacket protection

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/secteur-2010-road-bike-ec019551

If I did need to upgrade, what sort of money are we talking about? Budget is a huge issue - I don't need the best, just something strong and up to carrying the weight. 

Thanks for any advice!!!

Will1985

Über Member
If you're concerned, 36 spoke 3x handbuilts are probably the answer (which I'm sure others will say too).

How do you know your current wheels won't stand up to it? Load it up and take it for a ride.

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
If you're concerned, 36 spoke 3x handbuilts are probably the answer (which I'm sure others will say too).
Thanks - what kind of price would they run?

I've no idea if my current wheels would work or not.  I'd hate to find out they aren't up to it when I'm miles from any help!

Willo

Don't know about the wheels, but either way it might be worth considering upgrading the tyres regardless. The stock tyres are a bit fragile in my experience and £40-odd on some Armadillos or similar would pay back in terms of avoiding punctures.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Mate of mine got a new Secteur for our JoGLE....
a) he's a skinny whippet
b) no panniers - we were fully supported

His back wheel (despite going back to the shop twice for loose spokes in the weeks between purchase and departure) lasted 2 days.
I tried to true it up, failed, and in desperation stripped it down with a view to rebuilding it (I build all my own wheels)

1) the spoke nipples were made of cheese
2) it had been assembled with no apparent lubrication
3) the rim, with all spokes removed, was naturally "pringle" shaped

He ended up buying a new wheel in Aviemore, nothing special, £60 IIRC, Omega rim on Tiagra hub, 32 spoke 3X...... gave no trouble at all.
He may just have been unlucky, because the original front wheel was fine, despite a fairly spectacular "off", which I was sure would have damaged it.

Spa will build you a pair of wheels with Rigida Chrina rims, and basic Shimano hubs for aound £120-130.
They have a good reputation.... and FWIW one of the other guys on our JoGLE, who weighs in around 120kgs, was riding a 36 spoke wheel I'd built for him on a second hand Deore hub, and new Chrina rim, that gave no trouble at all.

Norm

I'm a big chap and, when commuting, my Secteur regularly carries >135kg (including the load) over the rear wheel without a problem in about 800 miles. The roads I ride are absolutely crap, too, it feels like I'm seldom more then 2m from my next pothole.

I had one huge pothole hit not long into ownership which caused a pinch puncture in the front even though the tyres were at 100psi. One of the wheels went slightly out of shape but it was trued in a few seconds and has been fine since. Whilst Pete's friend's problems are not good, I don't think there's any other Secteur owners here who have reported issues.

I'd agree with the comment about the tyres, though. I alternate between two rear inner tubes (sometimes fit the spare, sometimes repair en route) and the one fitted at the moment has 7 patches in it. Not sure how many are in the spare but I reckon that's roughly a puncture every 75 miles. Riding in the rain doesn't help that but it's still pretty appalling.

potsy

Rambler
The stock tyres are pants as norm can testify to.
My standard wheels were replaced pretty quick with some Shimano RS10's as a warranty issue (creaking spokes) while not exactly built for touring due to the low spoke count,they have held up remarkably well in over 2000 miles of hard commuting with a decent weight on the back(ie me) and they look much better too.

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
Thanks for the replies. I am looking at the Spa Cycles website - as far as hubs go, what is going to be the main difference in Sora/Tiagra/Deore hubs? Are the Deore going to be significantly better than the Sora? 

PpPete

Legendary Member
Deore won't fit the Secteur, they are 135mm hubs (MTBs and hybrids)

In the 130mm hubs that you need, Sora is entry-level in Shimano speak, Tiagra is one step up, and generally considered pretty good.
My OH is running Open Pros on Tiagra hubs at the moment, another of my handbuilts that JoGLED (and commutes 14 miles/day) with no problems at all.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Potsy,
thinking about getting some RS10's as replacement for the mavics that came with my Secteur. 6000 miles of commuting have eaten the Mavics up. You recommend the RS10'S?

potsy

Rambler
Potsy,
thinking about getting some RS10's as replacement for the mavics that came with my Secteur. 6000 miles of commuting have eaten the Mavics up. You recommend the RS10'S?

I'd probably go for a wheel with more spokes next time after seeing Colinj's wheel with 1 broken spoke last month,similar spoke count to the RS10's I think his were Mavics. Wheel was badly out of true and wouldn't like to guarantee getting home on it.
That said these have been great so far and I'm no lightweight (not unlike yourself)and can be picked up fairly cheap on-line now,but I'm sure there are better out there for a nice bike like yours.
thumbsup.png

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'd probably go for a wheel with more spokes next time after seeing Colinj's wheel with 1 broken spoke last month,similar spoke count to the RS10's I think his were Mavics. Wheel was badly out of true and wouldn't like to guarantee getting home on it.
That said these have been great so far and I'm no lightweight (not unlike yourself)and can be picked up fairly cheap on-line now,but I'm sure there are better out there for a nice bike like yours.
thumbsup.png

Yeah, can get a pair for £100. Just thinking of using them for winter wheels and getting something better for the spring/summer

potsy

Rambler
Top Bottom