Digital camera users - kit advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think you'll regret it. I made that mistake.

The advantages of a DSLR are:-

1. They are generally faster and specifically faster when you really need them to be, e.g. in low light situations.

2. When you want to use manual override, they are generally easier to use.

In bright light and most situations your bridge camera will give just as good pictures.

However, I just remember when I wanted to shoot something in low light or strange situations, I knew the camera could do it, I just couldn't remember how to make it do it.

My Pentax DSLR is so easy to use.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
I hear what you're saying, Trembler. The user manual is a big one! :biggrin:

The S9600 has good low light and artificial light performance (esp colour quality) - it's one of the things I checked about. According to several reviews, I'd have to buy into a mid-range dSLR system before I passed the quality of image and features of the S9600, and £600-800 is a little more than I want to spend, as I said in my original post. Obviously, a single zoom lens camera is going to involve compromises, but I'm still getting back into the hobby, so I see it as a good - and not risky in terms of spending loads of cash if it becomes a back-up / passed-on camera eventually - intermediate step.

Something else I wasn't aware of is the problem of dust reaching the CCD in a dSLR because of the lens changing. A number of folk in reviews who'd bought the S9600 commented that their dSLR was prone to the dust problem, and that with the fixed lens s9600 they were pleased not to have that happening.

ajevans

beanzontoast said:
Something else I wasn't aware of is the problem of dust reaching the CCD in a dSLR because of the lens changing. A number of folk in reviews who'd bought the S9600 commented that their dSLR was prone to the dust problem, and that with the fixed lens s9600 they were pleased not to have that happening.

It's a non-issue. It's possible to get dust on the CCD when changing lenses (happened once in the last year). However it's a 2 min job to remove it.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
Just as an update...

I had a proper go with an S9600 today - and was very disappointed. Found myself longing for the old SLR features. Those of you who advocated the dSLR route were quite right. I'n going to have a good look about to see what's available and start building a kit.

Cheers for the spot-on advice!

:biggrin:

Top Bottom