Digital News Subscriptions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Does anyone here subscribe to pay to read news sites? The likes of the Guardian, Independent, etc.?
Do you find them good value?

I only read the BBC news site, but I’m getting a bit fed up with it.

Last edited:

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Yep although The Guardian is free I do pay monthly to get more access. There is heaps to read on a very wide variety of subjects and written by a lot of journalists with opposing views.

Drago

Legendary Member
Used to respect the guardian for a balanced and authoritative view and paid then, but since a certain vote went a way they didn't like the reporting and editorial has, in many cases, descended to the gutter. Foul language and abusive insults have no place in reporting or press comment, and since the guardian started permitting it I no longer pay or use the service.

I mentioned on another part of the forum that you might be able to read papers and magazines for free, if your local library service participates in "Pressreader". In my case, I joined the local library, which also allows me to borrow conventional books, but also e-books and read them with an app called "Libby". I also downloaded Pressreader to my tablet and can access a lot of newspapers and magazines, including road cycling and mountain biking ones, ALL FOR FREE. No catch at all. It might be worth a look for you, if your county library service participates.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I mentioned on another part of the forum that you might be able to read papers and magazines for free, if your local library service participates in "Pressreader". In my case, I joined the local library, which also allows me to borrow conventional books, but also e-books and read them with an app called "Libby". I also downloaded Pressreader to my tablet and can access a lot of newspapers and magazines, including road cycling and mountain biking ones, ALL FOR FREE. No catch at all. It might be worth a look for you, if your county library service participates.
I’ll check it out next week. Thanks.

kynikos

Veteran
Guardian which is good value for the price and Times which is a tad more expensive. Guardian as it reinforces most of my prejudices and Times 'cause it challenges 'em.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Working in a newsagents reading the lot doesn't cost me a penny. If I were to subscribe or buy it would be the Times.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The only articles that I'm faintly tempted to pay for are in the FT. If you negotiate all the bowl thrusting and statements of virtue, you can eventually read most of The Grauniad stuff. A hefty supply of chlorpromazine helps.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member

Thread revival. I joined the library in September and just down loaded the PressReader app. It’s bloody ACE. 7000 publications free! Thank you.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Thread revival. I joined the library in September and just down loaded the PressReader app. It’s bloody ACE. 7000 publications free! Thank you.

Hmm, I just had a quick look at Calderdale libraries. Looks like I can access quite a few publications which might be of interest...

e-mags.jpg

:smile:

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Have you found much for free, as everything I look at wants me to pay £22.99 a month?

It’s all free, but you have to belong to your local library ( they may or may not subscribe to PressReader) then download the PR app, and enter your library card number. Then read away. My library membership says I have to log out after 30 days then log out again for continued free use.

stephec

Legendary Member
It’s all free, but you have to belong to your local library ( they may or may not subscribe to PressReader) then download the PR app, and enter your library card number. Then read away. My library membership says I have to log out after 30 days then log out again for continued free use.

Thanks. 😊

Top Bottom