Dim rear LEDs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cjb

Now the dark mornings/evenings are back I am seeing a lot of cycles with amazingly bright front lights and inexplicably dim rear flashing LEDs. Anyone else noticed this and wondered why?

diapason

The batteries last so long we forget to check them - cue to go and look at mine :blush:

cloggsy

Boardmanist
That is one of my biggest panics actually... My rear light is essential, especially on unlit rural roads :wacko:

Must buy another one, so I'm covered (belt and braces stylie!)

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Also, battery performance deteriorates in cold weather.

This is why it's good to have two lights if you ride regularly in the dark or carry spare batteries if you have lengthy commute

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
see plenty of dimwits commuting with dim lights.
It's not hard to check is it.

And another thing that get's my goat is people who only have one light on a rucksack.
You lean over the bike and the light is obscured.
Fit a light to your bike also... once again.. it's simple.

Use your brains people.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Almost certainly preaching to the converted, but for anyone looking for a half decent rear light that doesn't cost the earth I would seriously recommend the smart/polaris 7 Led as it is called. It's the little brother of the Smart 1/2 watt and the now bigger R1 and R2s.

Don't particularly have a thing against fairies myself. I'd really rather they didn't... Better than none.

Lozatron

I've had to be told a couple of times that my rear lights were dim - somehow don't seem to check them as frequently as the front, which is madness when you think about it...

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I ride for 90 (dark) minutes per day and I charge the18650 lithium batteries for my 2xCree Q5s (bike mounted), and Trailblaze SSC-P7 (helmet mounted) torches on Wednesday and Friday. My rear 2xBlackburn Mars 4.0s (3xaaa) easily last a full week. The Proviz vest (2xaa) lasts a month.

It only takes a minute to pop batteries on charge. I can only assume that those people who run on low lights either aren't using re-chargeables and just wait until they die (the batteries, not the people.......although maybe they will if they ride without lights?)

My set cost under £100, but I must admit I did cock up by buying cheaper lights first. I know you can spend much, much more on lights, but mine are plenty bright enough to light up the road front and rear, without being blindingly bright for other road users.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I noticed the same thing yesterday, some really dim rear lights. One guy had this enormously rear (light) that must have cost a fortune, couldn't hardly see the damn thing.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Low batteries means a bright light for about two minutes before they fade. Just enough time to fool you.

I've fallen for that one several times :blush: ... that is why I usually have two sets on and change the batteries at different times. It is also the reason that I like rechargeable batteries, as otherwise I'm trying to make the normal batteries last as long as possible before throwing them away, whereas I can always change the rechargeables without having to run them down first.

Except on the Hope 1 which of course just dies ... but I have a routine for changing the batteries on that one now.

wakou

Über Member
Now the dark mornings/evenings are back I am seeing a lot of cycles with amazingly bright front lights and inexplicably dim rear flashing LEDs. Anyone else noticed this and wondered why?
Yes, and I am among them. Surely this is simply explained. Front light you can see all the time and notice when it is dropping away. Back light, switch it on and forget about it, only when the batteries actually die do you notice.
As for positioning, I was on a night ride recently and was riding behind a guy with a nice bright rear light on his helmet. Unfortunately, he was also wearing a rucksack, result=invisible. He seemed unhappy when I politely pointed this out.

Top Bottom