Dim rear LEDs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
see plenty of dimwits commuting with dim lights.
It's not hard to check is it.

And another thing that get's my goat is people who only have one light on a rucksack.
You lean over the bike and the light is obscured.
Fit a light to your bike also... once again.. it's simple.

Use your brains people.

Or wear a coat that covers the light !

At least they have lights of some description :biggrin:

lukesdad

they might try cleaning them once in a while to.

gbb

Legendary Member
My sighting was two PCSOs on bikes yesterday evening...one was tucked right up behind the other, and his rear light was very very dim. As i passed them, the guy at the front had good front and rear lights blazing, the second guy had a very dim rear...and no light visible on the front. Thats why he was tucked in behind i guess.

I suppose everyone gets caught once in a while !

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Now the dark mornings/evenings are back I am seeing a lot of cycles with amazingly bright front lights and inexplicably dim rear flashing LEDs. Anyone else noticed this and wondered why?

Low batteries, coupled with the fact most people only really see the effect of their front light and so are more likely to see that its batteries are low. This is not a problem that I have as my lights are definitely bright at both ends... ;-)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I passed two PSCO's last week, and yes their filtering was dangerous, and one had a crap rear. Did I say anything in my lycra roadie/commute kit, nah... thought I might get pulled for the two magicshine rears.. They can be cannon fodder then.

RRCC

Guru
see plenty of dimwits commuting with dim lights.
It's not hard to check is it.

And another thing that get's my goat is people who only have one light on a rucksack.
You lean over the bike and the light is obscured.
Fit a light to your bike also... once again.. it's simple.

Use your brains people.

Or they point in a totally ramdom direction and all you can see is the side glow.

Low batteries means a bright light for about two minutes before they fade. Just enough time to fool you.

This is why:
  1. I have two rear lights
  2. check them at the end of the journey as well as at the start.

blockend

Wrongly angled lights are my bugbear. A chap on a road bike had two Frogs on his rear stays, both pointing at the moon last night. Even Poundshop lights work if they're pointing in a driver's eyes.
I use two 1/2 watts, one dead level for cars three hundred yards back, one tilted as a reminder to artic drivers on my tail, plus a cheapo clipped to the Carradice - all on different flash pulses. Add some flashing LED reflective ankle bands and luminous shoe panels and I hope the disco sorts out my rear presence.

Wrongly angled lights are my bugbear. A chap on a road bike had two Frogs on his rear stays, both pointing at the moon last night. Even Poundshop lights work if they're pointing in a driver's eyes.
I use two 1/2 watts, one dead level for cars three hundred yards back, one tilted as a reminder to artic drivers on my tail, plus a cheapo clipped to the Carradice - all on different flash pulses. Add some flashing LED reflective ankle bands and luminous shoe panels and I hope the disco sorts out my rear presence.

Well you can tell by the way I use my walk I'm a woman's man, no time to talk. etc.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Low batteries, coupled with the fact most people only really see the effect of their front light and so are more likely to see that its batteries are low. This is not a problem that I have as my lights are definitely bright at both ends... ;-)

I stil see spots in front of my eyes after accidentally looking into your rear light during the day when we did our Linlithgow run three years ago... :biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nearly blinded my old clubmate last night. I was at lights, and he pulled up behind - well pulled next to me very quickly - "what the hell are they they are blinding - I'm not riding behind you"

Top Bottom