dimwit questions wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

got-to-get-fit

just got my new road bike and it has Mavik Aksium wheels.....the bike looks great but the rear wheel has a large black plastic disk on it .....is this supposed to be there or do i take it off......it looks cheap and crap and i dont know why its there

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Is it between the rear (gear) block and the spokes?

If so, it's to prevent a badly adjusted rear gear mech from throwing the chain off the top end of the block and down into the gap and against the spokes, where it chews up enough stuff to frequently require a wheel rebuild.

Obviously, if everything is set up right (ie: the gear mech travel stops) this can not happen, so the plastic disk is not needed. So, if you are confident everything is set up well, it can come off (by removing the block first).

Although your description of these things is accurate, there have been a couple of occasions on my mtb, where picking up a stick has caused the same thing to happen, and if I could have overcome my vanity, that plastic disk would have prevented quite a bit of hassle. But on a road bike? I don't think so.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Ah ! The return of GTGF !:biggrin:

My previous post from the Cafe:
[ahem] ... er, excuse me :biggrin:

Quote:
But its ordered and coming on Thursday:tongue:
It's now Friday ... and there are no pics ... no word ... no news ... has he gone riding off into the distance, never to be seen or heard from again ???:biggrin:

COME ON GTGF !!!!!! we're all longing to get off these tenterhooks, as they are very uncomfortable :biggrin:

.... applies !!!

Top Bottom