Dinotte or Cateye

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikeitup

Veteran

wafflycat

Chris James said:
I agree with Bonj. The EL530 is crap. You could have had mine User only it fell to pieces after about five minutes.

I've used various Cateye lights for years and *never* had any issues with quality/durability. Smart lights, on the other hand... I'll never buy again.

doyler78

Thanks Mike. They look pretty good.

Anyone tried them?

Have been looking at these ay-up lights for a couple of weeks now however the fact that I can't find any reviews of these in commuting forums is having me waiver. There price comparison to dinnotte 200l with li-ion battery is favourable.

There is plenty of coverage in mountain biking forums such as mbr.com and it seems that there is no-one who has bought them that is complaining about the lights themselves. Indeed with a 6hr battery included in the roadie kit (£116 possibly excluding VAT - hard to tell) it would seem to be a great price yet a great product. Just wish they had that little bit more coverage. They are very light weight also and come in a whole range of colours. All the parts can be bought sperately therefore no probs if you lose something.

They moved to using cree leds in late October threfore early reviews were largely critical over their choice of led however interestingly there was actually little negative said about their performance and this criticism has now been adressed with cree the new default.

Choices, choices.

Chris James

Über Member
wafflycat said:
I've used various Cateye lights for years and *never* had any issues with quality/durability. Smart lights, on the other hand... I'll never buy again.

There seems to be an issue with the build qaulity of this (and similar models if I recall correctly). A slight blow can stop it working forever. Something to do with the wire / eclectrics near the switch I seem to recall. Anyway, on C+ there were several people who had had the same problem as me with the light. I just gave up on it as a bad lot but someone else successfully got theirs replaced as faulty.

mikeitup

Veteran
doyler78 said:
Have been looking at these ay-up lights for a couple of weeks now however the fact that I can't find any reviews of these in commuting forums is having me waiver. There price comparison to dinnotte 200l with li-ion battery is favourable.

There is plenty of coverage in mountain biking forums such as mbr.com and it seems that there is no-one who has bought them that is complaining about the lights themselves. Indeed with a 6hr battery included in the roadie kit (£116 possibly excluding VAT - hard to tell) it would seem to be a great price yet a great product. Just wish they had that little bit more coverage. They are very light weight also and come in a whole range of colours. All the parts can be bought sperately therefore no probs if you lose something.

They moved to using cree leds in late October threfore early reviews were largely critical over their choice of led however interestingly there was actually little negative said about their performance and this criticism has now been adressed with cree the new default.

Choices, choices.

I am torn between these and the Dinotte. But to be honest for the money the ayups look the better deal. I found a review by a guy who made his own halogen lights and compared em with the old ayups and the new crees.
I will try to find the post for your perusal.

alfablue

The Ayups certainly look the business, the only downside is the uncertainties of importing from Oz - would be good to hear if anyone has done so, how long it took, and what sort of charges customs and courriers made.

doyler78

mikeitup said:
here it is :

http://www.users.on.net/~fathers/lightsvslights.htm

after reading that I am sold on ayups!!

Thanks Mike for that certainly makes me want these now and as for what Alfablue says after your response I too have concerns about the final costs. It really isn't clear from the site exactly what is included in the cost. If they put a UK site then really you would expect that importation duty has been already been costed into the product otherwise why put up a uk site and not just say on the Australian site that they will ship internationally.

Given this I have emailed ay-up tonight seeking clarification of exactly what is or isn't included the prices quoted. From reading their shipping info it seems international deliveries are split into 2 packages to minimise insurance costs and that delivery takes between 3-5 days however it would also be great to hear from someone who has bought these in the UK so we can get a definitive idea of what delivery schedules really turn out to be and what they ended up paying.

doyler78

mikeitup said:

Thanks Steve Austin for the heads up and Mikeitup for interpreting it correctly for me. Lots of info on there about these. Haven't had a reply to my email to Ay-up however it seems clear that no duty or VAT is applied to the prices and that ay-ups policy of trying to minimise insurance costs may actually be backfiring as Royal Mail charge handling fees on all packages @ £8 each package. Therefore the more the split the delivery up to minimise the insurance costs the more they increase in the costs in the this country paid on receipt. Not sure that I am any closer to knowing exactly how much I am likely to have to shell out if I was to get these.

Valiant

Veteran
I've been using a Cateye EL530 since it's been out. It's a decent light for city commuting. Infact it's brilliant for it. For unlit roads I would go with the Dinottes.

The cateye has a very focus central beam with a darker edge around it. I wouldn't trust it in unlit conditions in which case it gets replaced by my 10w halogen setup.

Here's a good lights review: http://www.gearreview.com/2007_led_lights.php

P.H

Über Member
Valiant said:

That was a good review and is still an interesting read. It's no longer of any use as a comparison as most if not all of the lights featured have changed in the year since it was written. If they'd all changed in the same way it would still be usefull, but some have changed lenses, batteries and mounting systems as well.

Top Bottom