Diploma results!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Well last week after chasing up people at college I now finally have a result. MMM. I was expecting a DMM or DDM but beggars cant be choosers.

I am now going to carry on at college on a Foundation Degree in Civil Engineering and then a Top-Up (if the college are still doing them.
It is the first year that the college are doing the degree Full-time. I have promised my tutor that I am going to be knuckling down with it as I wont have any excuse not to (I missed a few days at the end of last year).

When I register on the course, I will get a laptop, printer, dictaphone and many other goodies which I am getting for free that will help with my education.

My life is now set and my career now begins!!!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
and the very best of British luck to you Matthew.

musa

Über Member
Avoid the top up route and go for the full degree

reason being the to up degree may not be accredited by the body and only by your university own system youll need to find that out

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"

reason being the to up degree may not be accredited by the body and only by your university own system youll need to find that out
The course is accredited by Bangor Uni. It is the same length of a normal degree but you have to do the foundation first because that is how the college works.

It is a bit late now to go to Uni anyway. I will have to go to Man Uni for my Masters (which I will be doing in order to get anywhere successful).

Pauluk

musa said:

Musa raises a good point. Its also worth checking out other universities as well as you may now be qualified to enter one of their courses (I assume your diploma is something like a BTEC). Just a thought.

musa

Über Member
Exactly, it may hinder your chances by how much I don't know....it being accredited by Bangor Uni and not ICivE (Institute of Civil Engineering)

Have you tried looking at doing a HND? Once completed you can do direct to the full degree after your first ear if you do really well or after completing the two years start from the second year of the course. its not too late buddy with clearing still open

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Exactly, it may hinder your chances by how much I don't know....it being accredited by Bangor Uni and not ICivE (Institute of Civil Engineering)

Have you tried looking at doing a HND? Once completed you can do direct to the full degree after your first ear if you do really well or after completing the two years start from the second year of the course. its not too late buddy with clearing still open
Thanks for the advice but I think I will stick with the FEng at college. From there I can decide where to go next.

The only reason I am staying at college is because of costs. It is too late now to be running around looking for a University that will accept me and then sorting out student finances and accommodation. It would put too much stress on me to have to do all that with the risk of getting refused in one month (exactly a month yesterday).

musa

Über Member
Thanks for the advice but I think I will stick with the FEng at college. From there I can decide where to go next.

The only reason I am staying at college is because of costs. It is too late now to be running around looking for a University that will accept me and then sorting out student finances and accommodation. It would put too much stress on me to have to do all that with the risk of getting refused in one month (exactly a month yesterday).

Sure its stressful must admit

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Sure its stressful must admit
I am currently in a battle with my college. My parents are all for the "keep ringing and approaching until you get an answer" but my tutors at the college give me the feeling like they are sick of me approaching them.

I also hate my college because it is so disorganised.
E.g.
We were going on a site visit to a construction site just 2 miles from my home. I agreed with the college that me and another student would meet the rest of the class there. When we got there, the rest of the class were nowhere to be seen.
After a phone call, it turns out that they had gone to another site just 0.5 miles from my home and that it was too late for them to come to the second site (where I was).
Me and my mate just spent the rest of the day walking around town and in McDonalds when I finally decided to head home at about 2 o'clock.

The next day, everyone who went to the sites was saying that we went to the wrong site when plainly it was a massive mixup with the college and the tutors.

I was not happy.

boybiker

Guru
Good luck mate. I done a motorsport Diploma I have worked in the industry and now a few years later I teach it! ^_^

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Good luck mate. I done a motorsport Diploma I have worked in the industry and now a few years later I teach it! ^_^
Well I certainly dont want to end up teaching (even though the college tutors seem to get a good pay (£30,000)). That is something that I would just end up bored of.
At least if I am working in an office doing managerial or computer work, I will actually have a different task to do each week (i.e. new projects).

Top Bottom