Dire Straits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Elmer Fudd said:
Romeo and Juliet is the only track of theirs I have ever liked. Mind I was only 22 and in lurrve.

I thought it was a great track too and then I got into Springsteen. Listened to R+J again and realised it was a blatant rip-off.

PS I think Dire Straights are the anti-christ.

PPS Worst act at Live Aid (not counting Adam Ant natch)

OP
OP
T

trustysteed

most bands are rubbish at those wanky live aid gig shites.

but their early albums are pretty good.

trustysteed said:
most bands are rubbish at those wanky live aid gig shites.

I'm talking about THE LiveAid, not those wanky live aid gig shites. I presume you are under 30 years of age because LiveAid could never be described as wanky - especially by the people who were there.

mondobongo

Über Member
As always some good stuff Romeo and Juliet, Tunnel of Love and Sultans of Swing some ok stuff Brothers in Arms and some really bad stuff Calling Elvis, Walk of Life and Twisting by the pool.

Just found this via wiki... ;) Mark Knopfler & Eric Clapton - Sultan of Swing

The album version of the song featured a critically acclaimed extended guitar solo, reaching #22 on Guitar World's list of the greatest guitar solos. Knopfler improvised and expanded that solo many times during live performances. The definitive live version of the song came as an 11-minute epic performance at the 1988 Nelson Mandela 70th Birthday Tribute concert in London when Eric Clapton teamed up with the band to play the song.

Globalti

Legendary Member
On Every Street is my favourite - I love the way it builds up to that fantastic guitar riff in the second half.

If you like Knopfler you'll enjoy Sailing to Philadelphia - the title track is an absolutely excellent ballad about the Mason-Dixon line.

Great stuff on the early albums, but after about 1985 they went downhill. Some of the recent Knopfler solo stuff on the Trawlerman's Daughter (or whatever it's called) is pretty good, especially "Song for Sonny Liston".
I listened to nothing but "Love Over Gold" when I was about 15. I still know every note of "Telegraph Road".

My fave has to be the live version of Telegraph Road on Alchemy! It's a blinder!

I love the bit where it goes quiet and you hear some bloke shouting something at the top of his voice and the crowd reacting to it. Always puts a smile on my face :tongue:

Top Bottom