Direto trainer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mtbike

I have a Rockhopper mountain bike (which seems to be a 2006 model per feedback I received here already) which is currently 8 speed. I just put it on a Direto trainer. I have not plugged it in or anything yet but I did a brief test ride. I'm shocked at how quiet and smooth it is shifting gears. As an aside, maybe it's just because I tried it only briefly but the resistance is not as high as I was expecting.

The issue is that it feels like the cassette is maybe slightly misaligned. It makes a consistent, low thumping sound/vibration from the cassette. I'm assuming this is not normal. From what I've read the Direto is compatible with 9/10/11 speed but I've also read that those with 8 speed bikes have made it work. I installed my 8 speed cassette with the two spacers included with the Direto--the flat skinny circles that go behind the largest cog. Would adding more resolve this possible issue?

Last edited:

JhnBssll

Veteran
The cassette should be tight with no noticeable play. That's what the spacers are for, to allow it to clamp up tight.

You will likely need to adjust (index) the gears so that the rear derailleur lines up properly with the cassette as the spacing will almost certainly be slightly different to that of the wheel. There are lots of YouTube videos demonstrating how to do this if you're unsure, it's a pretty simple job :okay:

OP
OP
M

mtbike

Thanks JhnBssll. The cassette was loose. I managed to get it tight but still have the issue. I keep tinkering with the gears hoping to get a smoother ride.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mtbike

Trial and error. All gears seem aligned now without extra spacers needed. Hopefully I can hook it up to some kind of software tomorrow and see what this baby can do. Thanks again.

Top Bottom