Dirty rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Apeman

Über Member
Been out in wet on my road bike in the wet,which is more than often here, and on arriving home my rims are black with muck from the brake blocks. Is this a fault of the blocks being too soft or what? Any answers?

tyred

Legendary Member
I think this is normal enough. Welcome to the world of modern alloy rims.

jimboalee

Modern blocks are 'sintered'. Tiny grains of rubber bonded together in a moulding. They are intended to be the 'sacrifice' part of the system.

My old Pug has natural rubber blocks in Mafac Racer stirrups. These do not give the black mess in the rain ( if I can remember the last time it was in the rain, 1998 I think. )

For wet and winter commuting, I have leather faced blocks against chromed rims. No mess at all. After a couple of stops, the leather is wet and the thing stops on a postage stamp.

jimboalee

Tape a washing-up pan brush onto a garden hose nozzle.

Adjust the water spray to a gentle stream, not a harsh blast.

Walk along with the bike while brushing rims, tyres and spoke nipples.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Time to change to disc brakes ;)

Jack9216

Personally I wouldn't bother about it as I don't care what my rims look like, as long as theyre not buckled, and the black marks shouldn't affect the grip of the brakes on the rim as it will mostly be rubber, which, if anything, will make the brakes more grippy.

gavintc

Guru
Jack9216 said:
Personally I wouldn't bother about it as I don't care what my rims look like, as long as theyre not buckled, and the black marks shouldn't affect the grip of the brakes on the rim as it will mostly be rubber, which, if anything, will make the brakes more grippy.

The black goo is a grinding paste and it is slowly eating away at you rims every time you brake. I was always informed that if you clean only 1 thing on a bike, clean the rims.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
gavintc said:
The black goo is a grinding paste and it is slowly eating away at you rims every time you brake. I was always informed that if you clean only 1 thing on a bike, clean the rims.

+1
Your rims will wear down if you dont clear this horrible stuff off!
Doesnt take long, and it will save your rims.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
i like the the squeaking sound on my rims, as well as the distinct lack of breaking power.

Damn it people clean those rims and replace those worn down pads!

Top Bottom