Di'sability

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Recently I had the pleasure of meeting an inspirational guy at my local bike shop who was a arm amputee and a cyclist. He had a rather unique setup on his bike to ensure that his requirements were met and we got into a bit of discussion about electronic shifting and how button shifting could be adapted to suit his requirements which is now developing into something greater.
As an enthusiast of electronic shifting and cycling I am now starting to think about how it could possibly help people with disability's to enjoy cycling more.

If you are aware of anyone who has a disability and cycles who would benefit from electronic shifting to overcome their challenges please ask them to get into contact with me.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Wheelsforwellbeing.org.uk might be a good place to start.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Chris beat me to it.
Wheelsforwellbeing.

Dominik is the chap you need to contact.
I will PM you his details

Very interesting. To my knowledge none of the companies which make special bikes for the disabilty market have adopted electronic shifting. Even the high end racing handcranks are still using regular cables. You might be on to something.

I'd be very interested to know how you get on with it - I have a professional interest as Head of Disability @ Get Cycling in York.

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Thanks for the info guys.. I will also keep you informed with what I'm doing mickle, but if you become aware of any disability's which may benefit from modified shifting please let me know.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
One of my club mates has a friend on the GB squad who is an arm amputee, he still uses mechanical shifting. One STI and one bar end shifter, on the same (none amputated) side. His prosthetic has a ball attachment that sits in a socket on the drop.

I can't recall his name, will find out. You could try contacting him, but I guess you won't get much from it since I would imagine Team GB will have considered whatever it takes to make him go as fast as possible given his amputation and have put him on a Dogma with mechanical shifting. Worth a shot though.

Top Bottom