Disabled Cyclist - Gear Change Levers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

darth vadar

Über Member
I have a question regarding gear levers which I hope somebody might be able to answer.

And, please excuse the lack of technical terms and probably my poor explanation!!!

I have a Giant CRS 1 hybrid bike which has Shimano Deore gear changers.

Stating the bleedin' obvious I know - but currently, the left hand lever changes the front cogs and the right hand lever changes the back ones, and we all know that generally, the right hand lever is used far more than the left hand lever.

My question is; is there a left hand version of the right hand lever and vice-versa? Or, could any of the current levers be adapted in some way so that they could be operated successfully the opposite way round? Or maybe a set of hand made levers could be made?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

There is nothing to stop someone from mounting the right hand levers on the left hand bar.
They would be upside down, but still fully functional, however the normal levers to control the front chainring may have to be ditched as I doubt there would be enough space on one side of the bars to mount both sets of shifters.

Anyone think of a better way?

There was a thread a while ago with a one-armed cyclist using a twist/grip shift and another shifter (thumb?) together on one side to achieve both gear changes on one side.

g00se

Veteran
You probably have integrated brake/gear levers but you can replace them with individual mountain bike brake levers and gear levers. That may give you more options...

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
You can mount shifter pods upside down in reverse alternatively you could use bar end shifters mounted on 'thumbie' mounts. If you imagine an old fashioned down tube shifter it's like that but mounted on the bars next to the stem.

You can mount shifter pods upside down in reverse alternatively you could use bar end shifters mounted on 'thumbie' mounts. If you imagine an old fashioned down tube shifter it's like that but mounted on the bars next to the stem.

I ride a recumbent and have used twistgrips for these.

Twistgrips are symmetrical and will fit either side, you can also rotate them so you can see which gear you are in.

As above it will be in reverse, but easily managable

Top Bottom