Disabled cyclists in London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony

I was passed at speed in Belgium in April by a one-legged rider on a roadbike, in full Cofidis skinsuit. Well, minus a leg...
He was absolutely flying, using a clipless pedal.
I did wonder how he got on and off, or stopped at junctions...

wafflycat

domtyler said:
Likewise, I can honestly say I have never seen a noticeably disabled cyclist in London. Or indeed heard of one or anything about cycling for the disabled. Until now I did not even consider that there were any disabled cyclists.

I know quite a few. An ex-clubmate is a disabled cyclist. He & his wife run a separate club for those with learning difficulties and I've helped out at some of their events which are qualifiers for the special olympics. Then I know of several who compete nationally & internationally doing time trials & road racing. The Rudy Project National Series has a special category for disabled cyclists. And boy, is that competition taken seriously! The guys I know may well be disabled (in various ways) but they are some seriously fast cyclists! It would be great to see even more out there.

Kirst

It depends on the disability. A deaf person wouldn't necessarily need special facilities. Some people who have cerebral palsy cycle better than they walk so might need grab rails, spaces to put a walking stick, extra space at the racks, to make getting off and locking the bike easier for them. People with learning disabilities or perhaps dyslexia might do better with symbols rather than written signposting. Can't think of anything else off the top of my head. Will give it thought through the week.

biking_fox

Guru
Of course disabled cyclists also require decent ordinary cycling facilities: safe well designed traffic flow, giving them plenty of road space especially with high visability at danger points - junctions, road narrowing etc etc.

Disabled cyclists may be especially restricted in using facilities which require a "cyclist dismount" - not that these are of any use to normal cyclists either.

walker

I've only just noticed this thread.

Depending on where about's in london you are, if you head to clapham common on a saturday around 10'ish, the south side, (bermondsey'ish end) there is a one legged cyclist that passes there every morning, maybe try and stop him and ask him

ChrisKH

Guru
I would echo what others have said about it depending on the disability. Kirsty's comment is a good one; deaf people aren't noticeably disabled and in many respects will not need additional or changes in facilities. Other disabilities may ony come into play when you are cycling and away from amenities. Someone who may need a toilet at short notice for example because of obvious physical disability or as a result of surgery or disease. Is the disabled toilet accessible from the outside and subject only to Radar key access (since you aren't necessarily going to be able to wait that long if time is an issue)? Is there anywhere convenient close by to lock up your bike/tandem/three & four wheeler/ recumbent/wheelchair (it's a kind of bike isn't it?! ) etc.

Not surprisingly, many people forget about disabilities that don't show. This includes those whose do, who can be just as narrow minded at times. Able-bodied doesn't mean just those who have four working limbs.

redcogs

Guru
roshi chris said:
Hello all

Background - I have been advised to specifically consider the 'large number of disabled cyclists in London' in the design of a new development I am working on.

Question - Does anyone have any experience of a disabled cyclists particular needs/ requirements, and/or does anyone know of any disabled cycling organisations in London I could approach?

Thanks in advance

Is it possible for you to be a bit less vague about the type of "new development" roshi? Is the development in connection with the type of bicycle for instance? Or is it to do with cycling lanes? Or conceivably, access to the facility of cycling?

i'm a disabled cyclist (in north east Scotland), and obviously cycling conditions here will be very different from London. But if you want a view about disabled cycling in a general sense, rather than something specifically appropriate to what you are involved in, i might be able to relate something useful, but it is difficult to know how to think about it unless a bit more guidance is forthcoming.

OP
OP
roshi chris

roshi chris

I am talking about a proposed mixed use property development; there will be residential and office/ retail elements to it.

Thanks for all your responses and links, I had already considered the most obvious sources, but personal experience from the good people of this forum is invaluable.

My function involves balancing the cost of facilities to my client (the developer) with the requirement to provide sufficient facilities in order to get planning permission. I personally have no problems spending clients' money on these type of faciltiies B) but I need to know what type to provide.

This is a new consideration for the industry as far as I am aware so we can set a precedent here.

Thanks again

Top Bottom