Disappearing BT internet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Woke up this morning to find that we had no broadband coverage. We had BT fibre to the property installed back in 2018 and have never had a problem, so this was unusual.

Tried all the usual ”switch it off and on again” malarky with no joy, so rang the BT helpline.

Many minutes later managed to speak to an actual person. Apparently BT have no record of us having fiber, and we haven't even had an internet connection since Nov 2018 (strangely enough when the fibre was fitted).

Checked with the bank and it looks like the standing order for the previous landline/brosdband was never updated when we switched to fibre, so tbf I've not actually been paying for it. Nice of them to give me the service for free, but a bugger they've cancelled it as both Mrs kes and I work from home.

They're going to try and reconnect today or tomorrow (there is a definite lack of breath holding on my part).

No indication yet if they're going to try and back date my bill to 2018......

It never ceases to surprise me when people have money taking out of there account for years on end without noticing.
And to a lesser degree the other way round. I would have noticed it within 2 months maximum.......but would I have done something about it.....no.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Woke up this morning to find that we had no broadband coverage. We had BT fibre to the property installed back in 2018 and have never had a problem, so this was unusual.

Tried all the usual ”switch it off and on again” malarky with no joy, so rang the BT helpline.

Many minutes later managed to speak to an actual person. Apparently BT have no record of us having fiber, and we haven't even had an internet connection since Nov 2018 (strangely enough when the fibre was fitted).

Checked with the bank and it looks like the standing order for the previous landline/brosdband was never updated when we switched to fibre, so tbf I've not actually been paying for it. Nice of them to give me the service for free, but a bugger they've cancelled it as both Mrs kes and I work from home.

They're going to try and reconnect today or tomorrow (there is a definite lack of breath holding on my part).

No indication yet if they're going to try and back date my bill to 2018......
Might be worth googling for your rights here - I wouldn't put it past them to try, I also wouldn't be at all surprised if they don't actually, if challenged, have a leg to stand on. You could be talking a pretty big chunk o' cash there.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
They can send you a bill, but can only back-date it for 12 months apparently.

Given we've just switched from BT through to fibre optic this week due to BT's price increase I'm guessing it'd be a big bill either way. Hopefully nothing will happen.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Has it got anything to do with the "recent" change of hands?
It's OpenReach now, not BT.
It's been 'Openreach' for ages, Maz used to work for them.

BTW how to instantly spot a scammer, if you get a call from an Indian claiming to work for 'British Telecom' it's a scammer. 2 reasons,
  • British Telecom haven't existed since 'Beatty' was exhorting us to ring our Mum more often.
  • BT or indeed Openreach don't ring people up to tell you there is a fault with your internet connection.

Top Bottom