Disappointed....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JozeeB

Regular
Went to check out the local spin studio and class info this evening and after poking our heads through the studio door into a very narrow, dark, claustrophobic studio.... decided I might be better purchasing waterproofs and becoming an all-weather cyclist after all!!!

(I thought it might have been a good way of maintaining fitness when the weather's rubbish!!).

mark1974

i have a spinner and i do 30 mins on it after i come back from riding {not every time}
one thing i will say it has improved my fitness
only been cycling couple months started using spinner couple weeks back when it was raining
do 15 mile cycle now hardly break a sweat
get in there give it a go sod the surroundings

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Spinning classes are awesome. You have to go and try it during an actual lesson. It's supposed to be quite dark! There's normally a good atmosphere in the class, providing the instructor is any good and of course depending on their choice of music! It's the one thing I miss since I stopped my gym membership.

OP
OP
JozeeB

JozeeB

Regular
My plan is to give at least two classes a go. I just found the room very claustrophobic and its actually good to realise I'd prefer to be out on my bike (as i was a totally fair-weather cyclist!!). They tried to get us to sign up for membership (i.e.gym, classes and pool) but have decided to pay for at leads 2 pay-as-you go classes until I've tried it. £5 a class which I'd rather pay than commit to a year long contract I might not use!!
I have done a spin class before (years ago - before I enjoyed cycling and with zero fitness) but hoping that this may be something I can use to top up fitness when the weather's rubbish (That'd be all year round then eh?!).

edindave

Über Member
You can't judge it by looking through a window.
I did spin classes for 18 months or so until last winter, about 3 or 4 a week. I stopped when we realised that the family membership fee of about £110 a month was perhaps a tad excessive, since I was the only one going to the gym. They were great. I miss them. Give it a try!

Raging Squirrel

basically an upgraded excercise bike but a lot better, where you have a trainer telling you what to do.peddle on gear 3 for 30 seconds and then knock it up a few cogs and cycle as fast as you can for 60 seconds and so on.....brilliant for stamina building

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
It's a group exercise class led by an Instructor. They usually have banging music and simulate a bunch of scenarios, like, er... sprinting and er... hill climbs. Look, I'm not selling this concept very well but they are actually very good fun (read pain) and can help some aspects of your cycling, imho. Motivation is normally quite high, being in a group and there will be a wide range of abilities but you can tailor your effort by tweaking the resistance dial on the bike. The idea is that you beat-match your cadence to the music, which is quite good fun.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Went to a spin class today and it was great. It's not a choice of spinning or cycling, you can do both (I cycled there and back).
That's given me an idea... I could actually swim to my local swimming pool.

-----------------------------------
Sent mobile phone stylee

You can't judge it by looking through a window.
I did spin classes for 18 months or so until last winter, about 3 or 4 a week. I stopped when we realised that the family membership fee of about £110 a month was perhaps a tad excessive, since I was the only one going to the gym. They were great. I miss them. Give it a try!
Hugh (used to work in the Tri Centre) set up a studio (Life Cycle) a few years ago its a lot cheaper my mates swore by his classes but I never got into it but I'd just been paid off and couldn't stomach paying for something I could get for free. The first class is free but I never went back when I had to pay for it :blush:

I'd love to find a spinning class near me that doesn't involve paying for a gym membership I won't use or has classes at stoopid o'clock.

I have a turbo but it's only for desperate times for all the usual reasons, whereas when I have been a gym member in the past and I've done spinning classes I've always enjoyed them.

Yes I'd rather get out and ride, but a spinning class will work me harder than I'd work myself on the road.

Top Bottom