Disappointing experiences with Condor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ginga Ninga

Thought I would let you know about my disappointing experiences with Condor. The other day I was riding the CONDOR ITALIA-CROSS that I bought 3 years ago. I heard a snap and to my astonishment the frame had cracked clean through near the top of the down tube (see photos).

https://picasaweb.google.com/108713602215909742849/May242011BrokenCondorPhotos?feat=directlink

I have never used it for cyclo cross and ridden it exclusively on the roads so I was shocked to find that CONDOR would not replace a frame that had performed so far below what you might reasonably expect. In addition I came across this chap who had the same experience on the SAME PLACE with the SAME MODEL after the SAME PERIOD. See link comments under the link, something is clearly wrong with these frames:

http://www.bikerumor.com/2010/11/22/condor-bikes-overhauls-road-cross-bikes-for-2011/

photos at:

https://picasaweb.google.com/tyretracksphotos/BrokenCondor?feat=directlink#

I was offered the crash replacement scheme which amounts to a measly £175 off a new £520 frame with an additional £75 charge for labour. Pathetic really for a company that trades so strongly on claiming product quality. They even suggested wear and tear (all components are original) and scuffed saddle (from a minor slip) were contributors to the damage.

Condor are under no warranty obligation to replace since the warranty is 2 years which is fine but they are under an obligation to sell products that meet a reasonable performance expectation. Clearly it is reasonable to expect a £1000 bike to last more than 3 years normal commuting use.

Given the nature of my complaint customer service was also extremely poor. I was promised an update by the end of the day on two occasions and was disappointed to have to repeatedly chase them for an answer after a number of days waiting. You’re free to make up your own minds but my conclusion is that these guys trade on a trendy label but have a poor quality product with after-sales service is zero if you find that the product is poor after the short warranty is up.

jethro10

Über Member
Hmmm,
not sure you can complain too much when a product is outside it's warranty.

Shame though, but I wouldn't bash Condor too much.....

J

OP
OP
G

Ginga Ninga

Warranty aside I think I have every right to be disappointed with the product and service that I've received. As I said you're free to make up your own mind depending on whether you would be satisfied with a £1000 bike breaking after 3 years of normal use.

yello

As I said you're free to make up your own mind depending on whether you would be satisfied with a £1000 bike breaking after 3 years of normal use.

You're right to be peeved in my opinion. I'd be pee-ed off too.

A completely different story, and trivial in comparison, but I took a pick axe back to a hardware store after the handle broke after literally half a dozen swings. No way was it fit for purpose. The shop's response was that the handle wasn't covered AT ALL. I was astounded. How can anybody be allowed to sell something under such terms? As it happened, my indignation was registered and they gave me a new handle.

I accept warranty conditions exist (and that people do abuse them) but are you really so deluded to expect something to last longer? Or is it really 'luck of the draw'?

siadwell

Guru
Under the Sale of Goods Act, the retailer is responsible for ensuring that goods are 'of satisfactory quality' and 'fit for purpose'. This responsibility doesn't end with the end of the warranty period.

According to Which?, "Beyond six months, it's up to you to prove that the problem was the retailer's. So you may need to prove that the fault was not down to wear and tear or damage you caused, and that the product (or a component) should have lasted longer than it did. To do this you may need an expert's report, for example from an engineer or mechanic."

So with the evidence of the other instance of this issue, plus perhaps a report from a reputable bike engineer that the frame has not been abused, surely it's worth going back to Condor and making a formal claim?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Another way of looking at this is that being out of warranty they are not obliged to offer anything unless as Siadwell says you can prove defective design or wear (and you may have a case).
They are however offering 33% discount off the price of a new frame which is a not unreasonable something, but I think the cheeky bit is the £75 for labour.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Under the Sale of Goods Act, the retailer is responsible for ensuring that goods are 'of satisfactory quality' and 'fit for purpose'. This responsibility doesn't end with the end of the warranty period.

According to Which?, "Beyond six months, it's up to you to prove that the problem was the retailer's. So you may need to prove that the fault was not down to wear and tear or damage you caused, and that the product (or a component) should have lasted longer than it did. To do this you may need an expert's report, for example from an engineer or mechanic."

So with the evidence of the other instance of this issue, plus perhaps a report from a reputable bike engineer that the frame has not been abused, surely it's worth going back to Condor and making a formal claim?

Some good advice there!

Pottsy

Some reasonable replies above.

It's 3 years old, they've no idea what you've done to it, how you used it etc. What do you expect unless you can give then some proof of a cause of failure? You could have thrown it off a friends balcony at a dinner party as far as they know.

My experience of Condor in terms of service has always been good.

Albert

Über Member
Read the Sale of Goods Act. If Condor think that you know your rights and are prepared to fight them, then they would be foolish not to offer you a better response to what, on the surface, seems to be a legitimate grievance.

I would imagine that a frame should have the full 6 years' worth of consumer protection.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
it's difficult to tell for sure from the pictures, but it looks like the weld end of the snap is old, therefore suggesting that the crack originated from the end of the weld. from what i remember from my engineering days, when alloy is welded it's then oven baked to normalize the surrounding area, i.e., to reduce brittleness and to reduce the stresses that would have been introduced by welding.

so, i would say it's a manufacturing cock up and they should replace the frame.

Top Bottom