disc brake adaptor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil120867

Über Member
Please help. I've just bought a 2001 Gary Fisher big Sur frame for £40 off eBay. I was assured that I could get an adaptor to fit to the back of the frame in order to fit disc brakes. I've just been told by my LBS that the part will cost £35 and may not work at all. I've been reading some old threads on MBR.com that say there is a part and its readily avaliable. I've taken a picture to help. does anyone know how I can get this part more cheaply? (or at all)

RedBike

I brought an A2Z one to fit to a cyclo-x frame. Sadly I couldn't get it to fit onto my dropouts. I 'think' yours should be alrright though (Triple check this).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/A2Z-Mountain-...66:2|39:1|72:1688|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

There's no guarantee that even if the adapter fits it will allow you to correctly align your disc caliper / the brake wont bind due to the parts flexing.

OP
OP
phil120867

phil120867

Über Member
cheers, what are the holes in the frame for then, I don't think they are for a rack or mudguards?. I had heard there was a special trek part specifically for trek / Gary Fisher bikes that bolts onto the holes but maybe I just imagined this!!
thanks again. Phil

barq

I did the conversion with that part on a Trek 4500 (2004) and it worked fine. I don't think it came with any bolts which was fractionally annoying, but IIRC they were a standard size so no big deal.

OP
OP
phil120867

phil120867

Über Member
Hi. See attached, I think I've cracked it here thanks to your advice. All I need now is a IS 160 attachment to bolt the brake to. It looks ok doesn't it? I'm thinking of hayes stokers from the Wooly Hat shop for £99? Any views

thanks again
Phil

Top Bottom