Disc-Brake Braze Ons, Claude Butler Dalesman

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a Claude Butler Dalesman that has Tektro Oryx cantilever brakes on it. I go through pads like they're made from licquorice, and they're a swine to adjust. My Orbea MTB has hydraulic disks front and back, and they have immense stopping power that the Oryx lack, and having had a couple of fully-loaded-buttock-clenching-not-being-able-to-stop incidents on the tourer, I wondered how easily the forks and frame could be modified to accept disks.

The one advantage is that the CB came with wheels that have a splined hub that will accept discs.

Comments, and likely costs anyone ? Ta.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Bottom of this page suggest £50 but that may be rear only, as I'm not sure the standard forks would take the loads of a disc brake. You'd have to talk to Argos about it.
Don't forget that brazing anything means repainting the frame ...£115/£130
and the cost of any transfers...and the hydraulic brake itself.

My suggestion: ditch the Tektro Oryx, and fit cyclo-cross cantilevers, which are wider and give you more "leverage". And change the brake blocks for Kool-Stop Salmons. OK it still won't be on a par with hydraulic disks but it will be a lot kinder on your sphincter - and your wallet.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I've seen a few Roberts machines on Audaxes, ver' ver' nice.

http://www.robertscycles.com/prices.html

ouch! much as I love lugged steel frames if I had that kind of money to spend on a bike it would be titanium framed

Seems they do offer a disc compatible front fork though...
but looking at pics (on the tandem section) it is rather "agricultural"

Ivan Ardon

I have Oryx cantis on my CB Regent. Even fully loaded (and I ain't no lightweight) it stops very well. Odd.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Just a theory of mine... and I don't know how old IvanArdon is...

but those of us who grew up in the days when Weinmann Vainqueur centre-pulls were about as good as you could get (unless spending loadsamoney on fancy Italian side-pulls) have a totally different conception of what constitutes adequate braking performance.....

The widespread use of V-brakes on even cheap BSO's has given later generations a whole different set of expectations.

I'm not suggesting we accept the poor braking of yesteryear, quite the opposite. IMO Tektro Oryx are a lot better than the brakes I had on my first "10 speed racer" but there are better options out there:
Cyclo-cross cantis are my favorite, V-brakes are another possibility, dual-pivots provide yet a 3rd option (although in OP's case leaving ugly protruding canti studs unused/unprotected)

And all of the above can be improved hugely by using better pads (like Kool-Stops for example)

Top Bottom